Living the Dream

Living the Dream

Friday, November 30, 2012

Climbing up the hill..

You know, when you start feeling too cocky, something is sure to happen, to bring you back to your senses.

Even though we've had a few issues with Lovely, I thought for the most part that we were over the hump.

Boy, am I just foolish.

You all know how I was just almost to the point of panic, trying to find her some after school care, because there just isn't a middle school program (except for the pricey YMCA) in Norman, I was so relieved and thankful and overjoyed when my hero stepped up to the plate, and ALLOWED (by the goodness of his heart) Lovely into his elementary school program.  She has been fine, only a few incidents of bullying (which is a normal staple in this kid's life), but today, the teacher pulled me aside and told me that Lovely has been disrespectful and not minding any of the teachers, and in short, a pain in their behinds.

Uh Oh.

Lovely just got her first taste of discipline and a smidge touch of anger from her caretaker.  She didn't like it AT ALL.

I've been studying conflict resolution this semester and seriously, It couldn't come at a more perfect time.  I spelled out the problem, I basically gave her the road map of life as it WILL be, and told her there was no grey area in respect at her school, and she is in a zero tolerance zone.

Her caseworker calls this our "Honeymoon" period.  Where everyone is getting to know each other, and everyone is on their best behavior and loves each other, and is so tolerant of the other, etc.

Well, the freakin' honeymoon is OVER.

Now comes the reality of discipline and expectations, and rules.  I have to remind myself that these kids know one way, and that is violence.  The way they handle any conflict is with violence.  I just have to remember that.  And it's hard.  The way we handle conflict in my house is with sarcasm and a whole load of avoidance.

So, pray for me and pray for Lovely, because I think if she gets me in a headlock, she could take me, but I'm hoping I get a head start, because I can definitely out run her.

Prayers for peace and patience.


No comments:

Post a Comment