Living the Dream

Living the Dream

Monday, November 5, 2012

In the Beginning....

I really wanted to go to work today.  I was trying as hard as I could to get the lovelies enrolled and squared away, so I could get some hours in today.

Didn't happen.

What did, though, was short of a miracle.

I say that, but after all that has transpired, it's really not.  We took Hal to school, and I got the lovelies dressed and in front of the tv, just like any good mom, and got on the phone.

I needed everyone on the same page, and that took some time.  I have NO information about my kids.  So I just stupid called the old principal at the school and talked to her.  She was so helpful, and though she couldn't give me tons of information, she gave me WAY more than I had before I called her.

We walked into the counseling office that had housed a wailing lovely last week, and she strutted in with her new clothes and haircut, and bless the secretaries hearts in there....they all just went nuts over her.  Of course, she just strutted even more, and I was so proud of her.   I timed it so the 6th grade lunch was almost over, and she got to see the other 6th graders streaming through the hall and I made the comment, "It looks like a whole bunch of kids like you."  I saw her visibly relax.  Baby steps.

Got Little brother (Going forward LB) enrolled, and he was bouncing off the walls.  Found out today in his paperwork I secured from the old school, that the little dude wears glasses.  "LB, you wear glasses?"  "Oh, yeah, but just to see."  Good thing I'm nosy, cause his caseworker didn't even know that.  Weirdly, NO ONE had caught it but me.   I'm nosy and read everything.   So we are getting the boy his glasses so he can see.  For.the.love.

Caseworker came and brought us some clothing vouchers, more paperwork, and just a lovely visit.  She really is the bees knees.  Of course, she's my first one, so I don't have a basis for comparison, but I think she is just about the most terrific thing on the planet, and make sure I text her that often, because the last thing I want is for her to ever quit.  She is exceptional.  The whole experience with the system of DHS has been exceptional, and I don't think that very many people say that enough.  They are so overworked, and underappreciated and I, for one, could NEVER in one million years do the job that they do.  So, that's my kudos to DHS.

Lovely continues to amaze me.  Especially tonight, which is the title of the blog.  As I read through their IEP's, I see they are both lagging in reading.  Well, reading I can do.   Math, oh boy.  Get a tutor, but reading?  Bring it.    I know they both LOVE talking about the bible, and I just happen to have 2 beginning bibles with the stories in them, so we read Genesis.   Well, I say we read Genesis, actually Lovely recited it to me.  She knew every day of creation (I have trouble remembering those myself) and almost burst my eardrum, excitedly telling me about Noah and the flood.  I made them read, taking turns, and those two turned into comedians, talking in "God" voice, and then scooby do.

I let them take them to bed, and gave them flashlights to read with (I used to love that), and when I went in to tell them lights out a few minutes ago, they had already done it and were giggling talking to each other.

I told them it was going to be an early get up and rise and shine, that they better get to snoring, and LB pipes up, 'Lolly, we love you, You do good job today."

Buddy, you have no idea what a treasure you and lovely are to me.  You may think you will learn so much from me, but truly, I am learning more from you.

Today was a good, good day.

1 comment:

  1. Lolly,
    You are am inspiration to us ALL. Thank you for sharing this walk with all of us, so that we might feel the love you are giving to these lovelies. God is going to bless you abundantly...and the children that you encounter. You are truly giving us a gift by sharing and we thank you for that!

    ReplyDelete