Living the Dream

Living the Dream

Sunday, November 4, 2012

Nappy Hair and Best Friend Status

It's been a really good day.

I can't believe I'm saying that, but I really really mean it.

Little brother got up at the butt crack of dawn and I heard him in the shower, getting ready for the day.  He is such a joy.  Without any surprise, I realized he had totally cleaned the bathroom when he was done.  He puts his dishes away, wants to clean the kitchen constantly, and makes both of their beds.  Lovely has ordered him around like a servant and I shut that down pretty quick, so after a few BIG sighs, she got her booty out of the chair and did her own "Fetch and Carry".

I was a bit anxious about church today.  The kids classes are big and loud and I wasn't confident in Lovely's reaction to all of it.

Silly me.

Prayers were covering us and she and little brother LOVE church.  The kid listens to KLOVE in her room at my house, for goodness sakes.  And "Here I am to Worship" was playing when they walked in the room, and they lit up like Christmas Trees.  "LOLLY, we LOVE this song".  I let Lovely go in the younger room with Little brother because she is just a calmer, nicer being with him nearby....and as we walked in the room, she pointed into the big kid room, and said, "That place look good", and I told her that it was where she could go, if she thought she could be cool, and she said, "Let me think".   When I picked them up between services (I serve at the next service, and they knew they'd have to do the room twice), she offered to go in The Loop, because she was "cool".  Dropped her off, she didn't even look my way, a Vietnamese woman was in there serving, and life was good.

Saw several loving friends this morning that gave me very needed hugs, and seriously, during worship, I was so emotional, because God is SO GOOD.  He is faithful and He does everything in His time.  Everything happens for a reason, and I just trust and believe that what is going to transpire is His will and I am taking it one day at a time.   Only one day.

I'm being so transparent on this journey, and the good thing is...everyone knows what is going on.  I don't have to explain to hardly anyone, anything.  It's so nice to have everyone in the loop.  What a bunch of loving welcomes from my friends to my lovelies this morning.  Miss Lovely wasn't very welcoming, as she approaches most everyone as a potential enemy, but little brother is full of light and welcome hugs.

Lovely only asked for mom one time today.  She talked to her on the phone for about an hour (little bro didn't even look at the phone, he is not even phased) and cried and was upset, so that just wears me out.  Three steps forward, five steps back.   I hear visitation with parentals is even more taxing, (I can't even imagine).

Took them for haircuts at JCP this evening.  JCP gives free haircuts on Sunday, and boy, did they take on a monster with Lovely.

She has 3 peoples head of hair on one head, and it was full mast when we arrived.  I had tried to tame it for church, but it has such mass and curl that by appointment time, it was full circle.  I swear I heard the hair stylist gulp from the other side of the room.  It seriously took 4 hairdressers to figure out a cut that the white woman could handle in a morning rush to school.  Found out she has some african american in her, so the neatest hair dresser in the world (a precious african american lady) says, "Oh, I Pegged that" and gave me soooo much information, with a firm, "Don't wash that nappy mess for 5 days".   Gulp.  Gulp.  Ok.

Little bro had told me that his hair (that was hanging over his ears), was making him "deaf".  So when he got his spike cut, he strutted like a peacock and I just almost had to sit on him to keep him spinning on the chairs while Lovely took 2 hours.  I tipped them well on their free haircut....and my new hairdresser friend, told me to get that "Nappy hair back in there to get a relaxer on it".  I'm still laughing.   Lovely asked me, "Lolly, what's nappy?"   I told her it meant thick and glorious.   She smiled and liked it.

Those two little souls.  Rocking my world.  Little brother announced again that I was his best friend and he was so happy.  "Thank you for taking care of us, Lolly. Thank you for my haircut, and getting rid of all Sister's hair.  You my best friend in Norman, maybe Oklahoma."

So far, It's all worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment