Living the Dream

Living the Dream

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

You can't Out give God

In the last Twilight movie, currently in theatres (YES, I'm a Twerd, you know Twilight + Nerd = Twerd), my vampire family, The Cullens, are falsely accused of breaking the law, and the vampire "police" (if you will) are coming to destroy them.  They rush to all their friends, and have them come over, to "witness" to the "police" when they get there, that all is well, and they haven't broken a law.

Ok, maybe that wasn't the best example to use for this blog, but I've been dying to talk about the Twilight movie (Team Cullen), so there you have it.

I have been taught from the cradle that you tithe at church.  You give the "Best" and let God "Bless the Rest".  I've pretty much tithed my entire life. And until recently, I haven't "Gotten it".  You just give your 10% and press on.

And though I'm a huge proponent of it, I haven't been giving faithfully like I should this last month.

I've been too anxious about my situation, and, "worried" that I would run short.

What an idiot.

Here's what I am here to be a WITNESS to (This is why i had the bad example up top)... You cannot OUT GIVE God.

I have not understood that to the full extent.  This whole world is about money.  It's about how nice of a car you drive.  It's about how nice of a house you have.  It's about how good you are dressed and how your kids are dressed.  So that requires money.  And when you start to dwell on money and the need for money and the desire for money.....it takes you away from what is important, and that is doing God's will for you.

And my witness is this.... God still blessed me, even though I wasn't giving my "dollars", I was giving my time, my home, my worn out mind, to something outside of myself.

At work, my funeral home owner, Chad, encouraged us all to be generous.  "Do something outside of your normal this week", he told us.  He is a very generous soul, and shows it abundantly in all he does.

It's like generosity flows into so much more than just money.  I don't have ANY money right now.  On paper, (and in my bank account) it just doesn't make sense.  When I sit down with my bills and write them out, and projecting forward, it just doesn't make sense....but what I've done, is quit worrying about it.  Because God is faithful.

It's not about "Oh, crap, I made $1425 on this paycheck, so I must tithe $142.50, that leaves me $1200 to PAY MY BILLS.  It should never be like that.  Generosity comes from the heart, not from the duty.  God made me able to work, and all he asks is to show FAITH in Him, and be obedient.  That act of writing a check isn't a burden, it's a privilege.  It's my way of saying, "God, you got this, and I trust in you."


My witness is this.... ..  It's time to change things up.  Be generous.  Live outside of your comfort zone, and show God that you trust Him with EVERYTHING.   Money will come and go, but God is always there.

Just trust Him.

Your world will change. 


No comments:

Post a Comment