Living the Dream

Living the Dream

Saturday, December 29, 2012

Wanting to see a movie?

Hallie and I went to see "Les Miserables" last night, as the Lovelies got to go with EG to a party that Chesapeake threw for siblings in homes not together.  (We don't have BB yet, so they all got to get together for that).

I had been reading posts on FB about this movie.  And my anticipation, has been high.

I went to see Danny Gans in Las Vegas back in the day and he finished his show with two songs from Les Mis, and I was WEEPING in the theatre from just those two songs.

I guess that should have been a good indicator.

I didn't tell Hallie what it was about, and off we went.

I kind of squirmed through the first little bit.  Russell Crowe singing a very high song right off the bat, Hmm.  But Hugh Jackman (I have loved him in EVERYTHING, including old gross sideburns, Wolverine, from the  Xman) was mesmerizing, and drew me in instantly.  I looked over to Hallie, and she mouthed, "What the CRAP?  Why are they singing?", making me realize I had, indeed, forgotten to tell her this was a 100% musical.

I shouldn't have worried, next time I looked over, she was slack jawed, and teared up.  It was ok, because so was I.

There is so much I could say about this masterpiece.

The despair ran through the whole movie, but throughout, was the most incredible sense of hope.  Hope for better lives, hope for better circumstances, it was evident throughout. \

Parent Alert:   I was squirming on one part, with Hallie, there....  (Anne Hathaway's spiral into the streets) that I would have rather her not seen, but the rest was fantastic.

I really did spend the first 5 minutes, squirming.   Reminded me of Pierce Brosnan trying to sing in Mamma Mia, watching Russell Crowe....but I didn't squirm for long.

By the time Russell's character came full circle and he stood, literally at the precipice of his life and despaired over who he was... I was in tears for him.   And when Jean Valjean, cried to God to spare his Cosette's love, before he went into war... I was Total Toast.

Anne Hathaway started me off, early,  with her "I dreamed a Dream", and if she doesn't win an academy award for just that performance alone.....whoa.

The children in the movie were amazing, and if you are wanting to see a Feel Good, leave the theatre whistling and laughing over some of the lines...this isn't the movie for you.

But if you want to see a masterpiece, and stellar performances by some of the greatest actors and singers I've ever seen....you should totally check this out.

But take a box of kleenex, because, you will want and need it. especially if you are a snot cryer, like me.  Just think about crying, and the snot just flows.  Was that too much information?

Hallie summed it up the best as we were leaving,   "Mom, the DUDE was singing "Your debt's been paid" and I'm thinking..."He couldn't have just said that??  He had to sing?  and then I was sucked in.   It was the most stupid movie I've ever seen  but I LOVED IT.  My heart hurts.  It was so stupid.   I was like,  "Why am I crying"?  Mom, it was so stupid  and so good."

So with that review from the 14 year old...
Go see this stupid, fantastic, movie.




No comments:

Post a Comment