Living the Dream

Living the Dream

Friday, July 22, 2011

Day Nine ...... Let's talk about boys

I have to tell you.  This species I don't understand.  They like to be outside.  They like to use guns and kill animals.  They ride motorcycles and wear chaps.  Or they drive cars that look like kleenex boxes and take crap from their friends for doing it.  They can tell a joke and not crack a smile, and you wonder if they were kidding.  (ok, that's kind of me, too).

I like boys.  Boys are fun.  Just because I haven't been successfully married to one doesn't mean that I don't just dig the crap out of them.  Some of my very best friends are boys.  They look at life so differently than my girl friends.  I can just be stressing like a crazy woman over something and I will relate that problem to a guy and he'll go  "What? that is no big deal because ...."  and all the sudden, poof, it's no big deal.  Guys just don't worry about stuff.  They just go turn on a football game and worry about that.  It's just that easy, girls. 

I burst out laughing in my car when I read this comment.  It was about 35 comments in, and there had been some entertaining ones, but none that made me LOL.  (yes, I used it)

"Self exams work on breasts and testicles but not on colons". 

Yes, I have to admit, I blew pop out my nose when I read that one.  I have one thing to comment back..

followed with

"Although I have known a few that tried.  I deduce this by the location of their head"




And this comment was provided to me by  none other than
 BROOKS MALONE

 

Brooks and I were friends in HS.  He hung with a bunch of boys that I absolutely adored.  They were fun, they were crazy and I appreciated that about each and every one of them.


Brooks is a singing genius.  He kept this quiet in high school.  I'm still a bit ticked about it.


I will never forget when my niece started talking about her "Coach Malone" and how I knew him.  I was like, "What are you talking about, I don't know a Coach Malone", and she said, "No, Aunt Laura, you went to school with him!"   So I thought on it, and I said "BROOKS?", to which she replied, "I don't know his first name, it's Coach"... and sure enough, Brooks Malone.  I don't know who was more horrified, my niece, at the thought of her aunt being the same age as her coach, or me, realizing that this crazy man was in charge of my niece's softball team.    She loved him.   She should.  He's a good one.   Brooks, along with another classmate, emceed our Senior Follies...really, without a script.  THey just "Went for it"... and it was classic.   My dad would tell you that he never laughed so hard as he did at our Senior Follies.  And my parents went to MANY school functions, and my dad, years later, still remembered Brooks and Dub strutting around on stage with a jock strap on their heads.  Ah, the memories.

Brooks has two things he is crazy about  (besides hunting and fishing) and they are ... His wife Terri, and his son, Tucker.  (Too bad Brooks can't afford to buy his kid a shirt with sleeves).  I dig his wife, she will have stars in her crown, living with funnyman Brooks for all these years.  I love that they are still in love. 


Gives me Hope. 

NEXT, PLEASE.....
Now here is cute, with a CAPITAL C.  He is really going to hunt me down for showing this picture, but we were in 7th grade, and that was our first year of friendship.  Dang, 38 years is a long time to be buds..
GREG SUTTLE
Greg should have been voted "Best Hair by a Senior".  Because he really had the prettiest hair in the class.


It seems we've always been good friends.  He moved far off, right out of college, but he was the kind of friend, when he rolled into town, you'd see him.  He'd show up for lunch, or give you a shout on the telly, just to say hey.  Also, if you look up the definition of Metrosexual in the dictionary, you will find his picture.  He taught me about thread counts on sheets, the best skin cleanser for my face, a great deodorizer for my refrigerator.  He knows the best wine for what dish, the easiest way to get a stain out of a shirt, and how to get your puffy eyes back to good in 3 hours or less.   He is that kind of guy.   He's also, the first one on your roof if you have a problem, and the one to call if you are having grill issues.  He is also someone that will research Mosaic Variegated Anueploidy Syndrome for hours on the computer with you, and try to help you find the answers, and send you Itty Bitty doll clothes for your grandbaby when she's born, to celebrate the joy, and heartache with you.  He's someone I can call when I'm stuck on the side of the highway, wondering what in the world happened to my tire, and he knows immediately how to fix the problem.  He can talk you off a ledge when someone you trusted and had your future life penned on, drops you on your face.  He can make you feel worthy and whole, and trust that someone, some day, will love you for exactly who you are.  Can you tell I treasure my friend?  I could do an entire blog about this knucklehead friend of mine, but I'll get mushy and carry on  (Oh wait, I already did).   But, you know, the best friend comment I made?   Bingo.

Oh, Greg Suttle (said in best Korean voice)  "I love you long time". 

SOOOO, to bring the comedy back into the serious (Which is what he does best, I might add)  Greg's comment....................

"I tried an experiment (making fun of my "comment experiment").  I went out and licked the flag pole in front of my office.  On the good side, it did NOT stick to the pole.  On the bad side, I will not be able to taste food for the next three weeks and I talk like "Thithgh" now. "


Oh, the boys in our lives.  Aren't they fun?  I love my friends.  Do you see why??

Guy friends, I highly recommend them.  


No comments:

Post a Comment