Living the Dream

Living the Dream

Friday, July 15, 2011

Comments Day Two - 4 for 1

This is so fun.  I'm really glad I took on a project that takes me hours to figure out what to write and then compile the pictures and get it out into the everlasting void.  I'm sure the ten of you that follow me, will find these oh so entertaining.

I know I do.

So, I took all the comments and put them in a spreadsheet form and tried to make lists of things that made sense to blog about together.  That's pretty hard for me.  The more things make sense the loopier I get. 

So tonight I picked four work friends.  Three I know pretty well, one is an acquaintance (that I do dig).... so welcome to the Funeral World.  I worked in the funeral industry for about 8 years.  I made some WONDERFUL friends during that time.   Here are 3 old ones and 1 kinda new to the crowd one.....

First up..........  Amy Astle .........Funeral Director Extraordinaire.....



Amy is married to John, who happens to be one of the funniest people around, too.  I have tons of funny friends.    I met Amy when we worked at a funeral home in Norman, and I despised the office manager so horrifically that I would literally pull my eyelashes out in my office.  Amy stumbled upon me pulling hair and eyelashes one day, and cheerfully asked me, "Would you like me to come in there and say the "f" word with you?" which instantly made us forever friends.  

Amy had a scare a few years ago....her stepson Ty started feeling lethargic and off, and they took him to the doctor
and found out to their dismay that he had Aplastic Anemia. 

Ty fought back and now is in total remission.  It taught Amy & John so much.  They came to terms really quickly of how fragile life can be.  And when we had our first scare with Laynie, Amy was one of the very first people to our hospital room with all the "Hospital stay" essentials, since she herself had been through it just so recently with Ty.  Amy was a constant source of prayer for our family, and John gave blood every chance he could at Laynie's blood drives.  The Astle Family rocks big in the Deaton/Payne book    ... so amy's comment was ......

I JUST HIT THE WALL.

I can so relate to this feeling.

Second up in Funeral Land is Mrs. Megan LaBouff, who was just little Miss Megan, our student apprentice way back in the day of Baggerley Funeral Home in SW OKC.  She was but a mere pup in college when I met her....
Same age as Lacey So I always considered her my kid.

I don't have any funny Megan stories.  Or else, I can't think of any, she probably could rip off a few since she is younger and has a better brain retention than I do these days.  You should hear this girl sing.  She is super talented, and after I left Baggerley, she left shortly after me, and before I turned around twice, she had married the wrong guy (followed in her "Mothers" footsteps), and had herself the cutest little buckaroo this side of the Pecos....

Then found her Mr. Right......

who promptly moved her to Maryland away from all of us.  Mr. Right ticks me off.  But I'm so happy she's happy so all is well.... ANNNDDDD big news just in.....we're having a lil LaBouff sometime early next year.  Now that's what I call cool..... Love you Megan!

Megan's Comment .....
BOLA!

When you Google "Bola" (since I had no earth what that even meant) this is what showed up and I like it.  BOLA!


Now to the CEMETERY side of the FUneral business and the girls from ARLINGTON MEMORY Gardens, where I spent 3 or 4 years......  Fun Years.....Interesting Years.....Different Years......ok, years...


Leah

Lori



  Now if this isn't a reason
to get you to the cemetery to
get those plots prearranged,
there is nothing, I repeat, Nothing that is going to do it.
Besides, that's not their job anyway.



Lori came to a blood drive with Leah and another girl from their office.  I thought that the girl from their office was Lori's daughter.  That was bad enough in itself, but they corrected me, and then I'll be danged, the next time the three of them were together, I STILL thought it was Lori's daughter.  What in the cat hair is wrong with me???

There are many things I could say about Leah.  We have been through some stuff, now.  But I'll hit the high points.. 1- I was the first person she confided in when she was pg (unexpectedly) with son #2   2-  she knew to staple my skirt shut when I would fall down the steps outside and tear the seam.   3-  she could send me running to my car, crying, with just one look, and turn around, and make me fall on the ground laughing.   4- every single person in my family (sans Hallie) has worked with her.   We heart Leah.  She is our family.  If I had a little sister in the world, it would be her.

Her comment was work related 

"HOLY WRONG GRAVE BATMAN" . which isn't really funny to anyone that isn't in the business, and isn't really funny to us either, but for this, I found it quite humorous.... but finding a picture was a challenge.....this is the best I got.... so  here you go  (and I'll apologize already)

See??  Oy...

and Lori's Comment   "You are a Goofball, but love it" ... seemed to be a common theme..... so here's my homage to that statement...


Yeah, that's me.  total 100% goofball, in love with her friends.   See you tomorrow...


No comments:

Post a Comment