Living the Dream

Living the Dream

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

In Losing a Great Man

I am sad this evening because one of my favorite men died today.  It is Carl's Uncle Floyd, and my girl's great uncle Floyd, and they've always been special because he and the girls' grandpa (who are brothers) married sisters, and the whole family was a rocking barrel of fun and laughs and the same people at every gathering, and in the middle of the loud,  crazy chaos, sat Floyd.

And usually, not too far from him, sat Lacey, because she totally adored him.

He looked innocent as a bird, but those of us that know him, knows that he was a mess.  He was a quiet, unassuming man, that had a steel trap mind for business and loved his wife and sons fiercely.  He loved the Lord, he loved baseball, he LOVED his grandkids.  He could zing funnies faster than I could process them, and I LOVED to spend time with him and Betty.

It gives me great comfort this evening, as I grieve this gentle man, to know that my precious bug has her Great Great Uncle Floyd up there with her, loving on her, and delighting her, as he always delighted me.

The hardest thing about getting older myself, is watching the generation ahead of me, pull into the finish line.  I don't like it one bit, and yet, there is NOTHING, absolutely NOTHING I can do about it.

Cherish your family, especially the generation of wisdom that is rapidly and painfully going.  I take comfort in knowing that Floyd, despite his family's protest, insisted on driving he and Betty to Kingston for the family get together at Christmas.  That was just weeks ago.  Death came suddenly, and though I am thankful for a quick passing, I am heartbroken for the loss of the patriarch.

The only peace I have is knowing that all my older generation will be waiting for me in heaven.  That gives me hope, but it doesn't help my sad and weary heart.

Pray for Betty, and their sons, Charles and Ken, and their wives and children.  Pray for the remaining Deaton siblings, and all the family that love and will miss him, every day for the rest of our lives.

Rest in peace, dear one, Rest in Peace.


2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry for the loss of someone so dear to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete