Living the Dream

Living the Dream

Thursday, January 3, 2013

Eyeglasses and Hurlingg

LB came to me with no glasses.

I was reading through his IEP (which is code for "we aren't sure how to teach him, so here goes nothing)** and noticed that one of the teachers said something about his glasses.  I asked him about him, and he assured me, "Oh, it ok, Lolly, I just need them to see".

Oh, is that all??

Just to see?

He never complains so I kind of forgot about it, (because I am freak old and forgetful) until I was watching him struggle to read this weekend.  Lacey bought him some weather books for his birthday (The kid is a FREAK about tornados and earthquakes, almost "rain man" in his fascination with them) and the writing was small, he squinted and squinted and finally just gave up.  I knew that he would NEVER lay that book down on purpose, so upon questioning, it's true... He only needs them to see.

Took him to the eye doc today (cute Dr. Bagg in Norman) and the prescription in his old glasses was no where at ALL what he needed.  Fixed him up with the cutest frames imaginable (he really is going to be so adorable in these bad boys).  Should be ready in a week or so.

Meanwhile, I'm on lunch and having to get back hard to work, and drop LB off at school.  2 hours later, the school nurse is calling me, telling me that he is in the office crying and saying how bad his stomach hurts.

For.the.everloving.love.

By the time I get him home, he has turned a nice shade of pale green and I no more rush him to the bathroom when up comes everything he's eaten in the last week.

Have I ever mentioned I don't do puke?

At all.

Nada.

E.v.e.r.

My girls will tell you that if they ever threw up, I would stand at the bathroom door and launch a wet washcloth toward the sound of them, with the door slightly cracked (as not to hear anything) and pretty much tell them "God Speed".   So, my girls rarely puked.  Except Hallie.  She could breath and puke.  But she is low maintenance, and pretty much just puked and went on.  Handy for a sympathy hurling mama.  I seriously wish I were kidding here.  So, not.  Not a proud moment for me.

So fast foward to today, to my puking vietnamese child who loves me more than donuts.  Am I suppose to stand at the door and hurl a rag at him?

Would I sleight my other children if I gave him a bit of attention in his hour of serious need?  Did I dare subject myself to the germ, in fear it will be me hurling at the toilet tomorrow?

This all whipped through my head in about a 5 second interval, and I bravely stepped up to the plate,  er, toilet,  laid the rag on the back of his neck and solemnly stood there while the little boy hurled.

Oh yes.   I did.

To my credit, I only gagged twice.  I was very proud of myself.  And when he fell to the floor in exhaustion, I put a pillow under his head and covered him with a blanket.   I remember being sick like that once and it gave me great comfort to stay that close to the toilet.  Wait, that was my colonscopy prep.   Oh, the flashbacks.....

Anyhoo... seems everyone in the continental US has some sort of this stomach thing and the PA called him in some stuff to dissolve under his tongue, and after a glass of sweet tea, the little boy seems to be rallying.  No fever.  Just a bad tummy.  He tried to blame it on tacos, but I ain't buying.

Lovely burnt the everloving snot out of her tongue and roof of her mouth last night, because she couldn't wait for her food to cool, so she is a bit off her self tonight too.

So, let's review.  Sick LB, Sick Lovely and oh, did I mention I am sick too?  I think it's from facebook withdrawal, and unable to be writing status updates as frequently as I need to.  I have updatefrenzyitis.  It manifests itself into a sore throat when too much wit is stored in your brain.  It's happening all the time.

It's truly sad how I condense everything funny in a moment, into a fun status update.  It's a sickness.  I have a running diatribe in my head of witty one liners I can zing on facebook.

Pathetic.

I wonder if anyone even misses me.  I miss me.  I actually endured puke today and didn't get to have a facebook update about it.

But the beautiful thing is, God and I sure had a good chuckle about it, and I know He "Liked" it.

Maybe even "loved" it.

I'm living the dream people, living the dream.

**I've always wanted to do this(**)so here goes. Seriously, I meant no disrespect whatsoever to any teacher involved with ANY student in the world of IEP land.   That has to be the most overwhelming thing I have ever dealt with.  I was blessed with incredibly overachieving children that didn't have a learning disability, and most people have no idea how blessed they are to have healthy, learning children.  This is something, many many people have no idea is out there.  if you have no idea what I am talking about when I say IEP, count yourself very freaking lucky.   Amen.

4 comments:

  1. I'm missing the heck out of you on FB, but thank goodness for Lacey, who posted the link to your blog. It's a good thing you can write for therapy--the rest of us need it.

    Mom Holley

    ReplyDelete
  2. 17 more days, but who's counting?? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most of the time, IEP is code for your child just needs a little extra time and attention and for me the teacher, that's what I try to do.

    And, yes, I miss your FB "flow of consciousness" posts. They make me laugh out loud in the middle of the day, often when I can really use a good laugh!

    So, as you fast, we fast, too. I fully expect some kind of really brilliant spiritual awakening as the result of MY fast!!

    LYM,
    Cyd

    ReplyDelete