Living the Dream

Living the Dream

Thursday, January 17, 2013

Flat Feet and Being a Missionary

Lovely has got some feet now.

They are flat and almost impossible to find shoes to fit.

When we were at her first doctor visit, I showed them to her PA, and he recommended an orthopedic look at them.

We went today.

Yep, they are flat. 

She said to me, "No one ever care about my stuff, Lora (yep, she does call me that) and you da only person dat care about my feet".

Sigh.  My mom worked for an orthopedic doc for years, and it's engrained in my DNA that your feet are your "temples". 

We skipped out of there in about an hour's time with new insoles in her shoes.  "They make me tall and my feet are HAPPY". 

Well... we'll see how "happy " they are after they are in her shoes 8 hours.  I sent the box with her, with the warning.... "If your feet start to hurt AT ALL, take them off, and take them off anyway, as soon as school is out".

But the favoritest part of my day today, has been watching her tell EVERYONE she is getting baptized next Sunday.

We went to the baptism class for kids they give last night, and LB decided he wasn't ready  (the whole "Dying to your sins" and the idea of water, doesn't compute in his brain yet) but LOVELY?  Oh My Cow.  The girl is ready to do the dang thing. 

She told the receptionist this morning.  She told the nurse as we were going back to the room.  She told the xray technician (who was HOTT, for.the.love.), she told the doctor, and then she told the dude that brought in the insoles.

She talked non stop about it to me, all the way to school, and then proceeded to tell the receptionist at the school, and the entire front office, that SHE, was getting baptized.

Wouldn't it be AWESOME, if we could all channel that enthusiasm and share God like that with EVERYONE we see???

I told her, as we were waiting on the doctor, that it was so amazing that she had the opportunity to be a missionary.  Her eyes got big, and she said, "I don't go no where.  I ain't no missionary."  to which I told her.... "Kiddo, you already are.  Look how far you have come.  Just think, this starts a whole new chapter for you.  You can tell other kids about Jesus, and how He worked in your life, and when you get older, you can do like your friend did, and go get kids that would NEVER get to go to church, and take them, and share Jesus with them.  And maybe you could foster kids yourself some day."

She looked at me, and thought for a minute and said,  "I. A.m.  A. Missionary." 

I smiled at her, and she told me, "You my home girl."

Lord, please let me have that childlike enthusiasm everyday, and let me be a missionary wherever I am, and let your light shine through me. 

Your life is your mission field.... how are you doing with that?

2 comments:

  1. Okay. That made me bawl. Awesomeness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It’s such a relief to hear that her condition wasn’t taken for granted. I know of people who do that just because being flat-footed doesn’t sound as serious as other conditions. It’s true that your feet are your temples, and I hope you live by that thought everyday of your life. :)

    ReplyDelete