Living the Dream

Living the Dream

Thursday, March 21, 2013

A mother's greatest masterpiece....

are her children.

I heard River of Dreams by Billy Joel today, and I was taken back to Kip's kindergarten year, where as soon as we dropped Lacey off at school, to do her 3rd grade things, Kip would have to listen to 1) river of dreams, and then 2) the Free Willy theme song by Michael Jackson.

Those were her fight songs to get her day started.  It had to be in that order too.

I'm reflecting about my Kipster Queen this evening, because come next week, she will be leaving this fair state to follow her heart to California.

And as much as I am thrilled for her, my heart is oh so hurting..

They say to me, "Well just be glad it isn't Africa!", and my response??  "Well, it feels like Africa".

Your biggest dream for your child is their complete and total happiness.  When they are newborns, all you can do is wish them the best things in life.....and work as hard as you can to make those things happen for them.

You rub their soft downy heads, and coo baby talk at them

all it takes to make them smile is a spin toy and a blanket on the floor


and their great grandpas to hold them.
"Grandpa-Great" Self, he was about 85 here.

Then as they get older, you start to worry about other things, like, 

 "How old is TOO OLD for a paci and baby swing? and is  wearing the shoes on the right feet really that important?"


And, "Does an Easter hat go great with a christmas sweatshirt and red boots in February?  Probably only yes when wearing the right sunglasses and carrying the right purse.  And posing always helps too".


And giving bowl haircuts.  And perms in moms hair.  These are things you ponder on.


And I just have to say here that though my polka dotted shirt was ridiculous, Kip was the cutest one year old
on the planet earth. 


Then you turn around two times, hit about 8 dance recitals, and 1000 haircuts, 100 football games and pom camps, and twelve paint colors for their bedroom, and , just like that....they are grown up....

And so beautiful, they take your breath away..


And they fix YOUR hair, instead of the other way around.


And they become your firiend, in addition to your daughter.


But they are never too old to sit on dad's lap and take a picture.  


And all the sudden, you are cool enough to rate a "I <3 Mom" tshirt.  


and it's sort of creepy cool that you both sit the exact same way, without planning it.

I love this girl.  She has a servant's heart, and an unwavering spirit.  She can be oblivious to drama, because she rises above it so gracefully.  She fights for what she believes in, and has the most adventurous spirit I have ever seen in any other human being.  She is beautiful, both inside and out, and I am so proud to be her mama.  

Follow your heart, Kip, and know that all roads lead you to me, no matter how far you go.  When you're happy, I'm happy, and I've never been happier, so I know you feel the same.

We may soon live in different states, but your heart will always be part of mine.  You are a wonder, and a gem, and you deserve the world.

Remember to Skype me at least once a week, and texting is unlimited.  

Safe travels, my love....


Forever and always.... your #1 fan.




2 comments:

  1. Sniff. Cry. That day will soon be here for me, and I can work up a good cry just thinking about it! But, you are oh-so-right that our goal is to raise them and then turn them loose on the world, to do exactly the thing that God has placed in their heart with the skills He has given them. Way to go, Laura! Hugs, Alison

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yeh...butt dial me and then make me cry! This is most wonderful! Love the progression of hairdos and fashion statements. It is amazing how fast they grow up. I will always remember them dancing as little girls and then as big girls. Sweet, sweet. LYM, Cyd

    ReplyDelete