Living the Dream

Living the Dream

Monday, February 4, 2013

Volleyball shenanigans

All three of my daughters accompanied me to Hallie's volleyball tournament this weekend.

Of course, I am my mother's child, and could never get their names straight, so instead of a hybrid, Lacekiphal, as I attempted to talk to them, I just started using the numbers 1 (Lacey) 2(Kip) and 3 (Hallie).  

It worked.

I tell you, when I get the priviledge of having all three girls in the car for an extended amount of time, I am guaranteed several things. 

1) there will be arguing.  and then the comment, "Can we be kind"

2)  there will be movie quotes.  Lacey finally admitted addiction at some point.  "I've got a problem.  Every single circumstance in life, I have a movie quote for it".   She thinks it's a problem, I view it as a gift. 



3)  there will be sweet tea. 

4)  this weekend, there was massive coughing.  (from me).  I think I'm much better, but they viewed me as a gross atrocity.  Not once did I get to have the freedom to hack my lung without someone saying, "Gross", or "Do you have to do that", or "Nice one mom".

 
 

5) there will be comments on the hairy upper lip.  or chin hairs.  I am my mom's kid in every way, except for I inherited my dad's facial hair.  It's just glorious.  And everyone knows, the best time to take care of this heinous gift, is in the full sunlight.  The minute we landed in Ft Smith, I blazed into a nail salon and got a wax of my facial features, and of course they missed my chin.  So in sitting outside of Papa John's to get our luncheon fare, Lacey took the opportunity to use my handy tweezers, that I use for just this problem, and tweeze my stray chin hairs that were beginning to take over.  Hallie watched a minute, then exclaimed, "We are representing lifechurch, Charge, the state of Oklahoma, not to mention our family....do we have to do this NOW?"  It's nice to know that 2 of my 3 daughters, embrace my crazy and don't get too embarrassed by me anymore, and join in my reindeer games. 


6)  there will be cheetos.  One of the other moms, monitors everyone's food intake, because there is a small thing called "protein" that is so imperative in athlete's diets.  Well, Hallie doesn't intake good food.  It's a law or something in her psyche that just rejects good food of any kind.  This other mom, is a "Whole Foods" mom, and I'm a "pop tart" mom, so it's a bit intimidating (to say the least) to open my snack bag and it's full of cheetos, cheezits, poptarts, club crackers and oreos.  She has the hummus, carrots, pretzels, organic fruit sticks, pears, bananas with organic nutella, etc.   After seeing what I SHOULD have had in our snack bag, I feebly threw out, "I have grapes".



7)  there will be dancing.  Lacey has been adopted by this team of girls, as the "Cool sister", and she spends a lot of time, talking, building up, and dancing with these girls.  They had a blast in the hall, between games, dancing and laughing with Lacey.  She might be amazing at movie quotes, but she rocks pretty hard in the "big sister" role too.



8) there will be steak.   To make up for my lack of healthy snack foods, I try to take Hallie and get her some meat after a long day of matches.  The kid eats a 12 oz ribeye without even taking a breath.  She did share that the only other meat eaten at the dinner table, by the other girls was a 6 oz sirloin, but that didn't bother her, she was very boastful. 



9) there will be an accident.  We were sitting almost ON the court this tournament, and we had barely said, "Wow we are close", when a ball whizzed over to us, and by the grace of all that is holy, Lacey's nose kindly slowed it down before it hit the side of my head and knocked my glasses to the ground, where it totally bent my nosepiece to the glass, it hit so hard.  I had been suffering from a touch of vertigo until that point, but after that solid THWACK I was cured.  It was a volleyball miracle.  Lacey sported a nice indention from the 100 mph ball striking her in the nose, but she did an amazing job of slowing it down before it made contact with me.  Kudos. 



10) there will be laughter.  Oh.my.mercy.  We are ridiculous.  When we get the four of us together, it is chaos.  Kip just chortles the whole time.  Which sets off Lacey, and by the time Hallie joins in, there is snorting and guffaws, and when we finally take a breath to slow down, that sets us off again. 

11) there will be pictures.  If Kip or Lacey are involved, there are great pictures taken.  I think Lacey said that Kip took 163 pictures.  Something crazy.  I love this about us.  Every second documented.

Except maybe this.  I probably could have done without this one.



I know that in the reality of life, is that this will probably be the last trip we all four take together, just us.  I embraced, and loved, and cherished every second of it.  I'm so blessed to have such amazing, fun, loving, ridiculous daughters.  They are my best friends, my buddies, and my biggest critics.  They challenge me, they lift me up, they enrage me, they humble me, but mainly they delight me.   I am one blessed chick. 

 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment