Living the Dream

Living the Dream

Saturday, February 9, 2013

Straightening Nappy Hair and Self Esteem

I signed Lovely up for a "Pretty Tough" event for young girls at Journey church today.  She was NOT happy with me.  She likes her Saturdays.  She likes to sleep in, and lounge in her "majamas" all day.

So when I signed her up for a 9:45-4:30 event, she was a bit miffed at me.  I told her she'd have fun, and she basically grunted at me.

I tried to talk it up the whole way to the church, and I had stone cold silence greet me from the backseat.

Epic Fail.

Until we walked in the church, and a little girl ran up to her and called her by name, and my sulking pre-teen turned into Miss Congeniality... "Oh look, Lolly, all my homegirls are here".

For.the.love.of.preteens.

LB spent the morning with his new Big Bro, and had a blast.  He could NOT quit talking about him, almost to the point of obnoxiousness.

Hallie spent all day in her room watching volleyball videos on Youtube, and taking notes.

YAWN.

I bought groceries with all the food stamp people and it was so much fun.  Don't even ask me WHY I waited until food stamp day to go to the store.  It's a gift of mine, called, perfect timing.

When we rolled in to pick up Lovely from her "Pretty Tough" day....she came running up to me with straightened hair, and the biggest smile.   "This so FUN, look what they do to my hair!" and handed me shampoo and conditioner and a sack of fun stuff.

Norman Police Department came and gave them self defense instruction in the am, and we were all front row seat spectators to watch the "Lovely Show" on what happens to anyone that EVER dares to grab her.

They are toast.

I love programs like this, that feed into our young girls and empower them to take pride in their appearance, and step up to knowing about how to act if someone asks you to a party, and asks you to drink or dares you to take drugs.  I know my little lady soaked it all in, and didn't stop talking for nary an hour after pick up.

It's all about the important things, and reinforcement of positive, over and over for these kids, and I thrill at the sight of their growth.

Parental visit tomorrow, prayers are coveted.  They are always quite traumatic.  The best part..every time they see them, the kids are more equipped and have healthier boundaries.  It's going to be a very interesting visit tomorrow compared to the first one.

You know why?  God.  is.  Good.

No comments:

Post a Comment