Living the Dream

Living the Dream

Sunday, February 24, 2013

Baby Brothers and Broken Hearts

This weekend went unbelievably well.

Baby brother was in complete heaven because he was with his siblings.  Watching LB, be a considerate, playful big brother to his baby brother, was something that made your heart hitch.  Lovely was the most peaceful I have ever witnessed her, since that very tense first day when she was fighting heaven and earth to get her LB here.  With the advent of BB here as well, she was one content gal.

He ate his weight in food.  He babbled NON STOP.  (and NO, I didn't understand anything).  He went straight to bed, without a fight, and slept like a champ.  He doesn't get any "Public" outings at his present foster home, so he still experiences high anxiety when he goes anywhere.

You have to think about this.  He was taken from his home, and put in a shelter.  Then he was taken from the shelter and put in a foster home.  He is thankfully with a stay at home grandma type, but he is the "college" kid in a house of 4 fosters.  (3 babies, and him).   When I rolled him into church this morning, I was taken aback that he melted down.  And then it occurred to Hallie and I almost simultaneously, that he was having shelter flashbacks.  Though content in our home, he still hasn't had time to build any type of trust with us.  For all he knew we were going to drop him off and never be back.

So he accompanied us to church and sang worship with me, and sat still as a church mouse during the service.  Then he went to his class with Hallie (she serves in there) and had fun about 30 minutes until something set him off, and he had to leave again.

I have a hard chore here.  What is the line of spoiling and the line of being firm but fair?  I think while he is "a guest", he gets the red carpet treatment.

I fed him and the family pizza, pasta and salad at Cici's and he carb loaded so hard, he passed out the minute he felt the motor start in the car.  We played at the park, and it was time to drop him back to his foster family.

It. Sucked.

It. Broke. My. Heart.

He wasn't mad, he wasn't scared.  BB was HEARTbroken.  Which got us all near bawling.  It also made the deciding vote for me, in that I am going to do the dang thang.

I WILL get BB.  I don't care that there are rules.  I DON'T care that I am freak old.  I DON'T Care that I have no idea what he is saying.

What I DO care about is that I can change these kids lives.  I've already made strides with the older two, and BB deserves the same treatment.

And he will get it here.  I will spend this week preparing for him.  If any of you out there have a carseat/booster seat that a 40 pound 3 year old can have, I need it.  I also need clothes, Size 3T-4T.  He has no winter coat, so if you have a boy that outgrew one, I need it.  I bought him toothpaste and soap and diapers this weekend.  (He HAS to sleep in diapers, until he wakes up dry.  End.of.story.)

And I know that you guys will help me.  With your encouraging words, and your non-stop prayers, and your unexpected drops of gifts.  You.never.cease.to.blow.my.mind.

So, though it's all on me, I know I have all of you too.

And that will be enough.


No comments:

Post a Comment