Living the Dream

Living the Dream

Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Children No's. 7 and 8

Ironically that's how old they are, too.

Except #7 is 8 yrs old and number 8 is 7 years old.

They are siblings.  Precious little loves.

I got brother on Friday night.  His heart was pumping so hard when I met him, I could feel it pounding under his shirt.

As I led him into the melee of activity that is our monthly "Birthday bash" at the ranch, he quickly recognized 2 or 3 little boys and I felt him physically relax.

He relaxed further as he ventured in our house, and met Daisy and saw his bedroom and showed us his stuff.

He came with one tiny bag of clothes.  Very worn, nothing without a hole in it.  My heart broke just about in two.

We just had lemons (I'm such a great hostess) (Hey, it's what he wanted) and we watched a bit of Nick, and it was already time for bed.   Saturday rolled around and Brian's birthday party happened, so I had one little boy wandering aimlessly through the house most of the day.  He is joined at the hip with Zach and happily, the little boy across the street is in his class, so they ran like banshees all day at the house.

He really didn't settle in until Sunday after church, when we met his sister, with her current foster family from Norman, and they drove her up to the ranch, so they could see where their little precious daughter of "Heart" was going.

Her story is much different that her brother's.  Her foster family loaded her up.  She had at least 3-4 tubs of stuff, clothes so nice, a brand new bike, toys galore, a BAG OF SHOES, and at least 4 coats for different seasons.  She has new glasses, been to the dentist, got her asthma under control,gorgeous braids in her hair, and a tutor in her corner.  Her foster mama talked to me on the phone for the longest before she was able to be "ok" with her girl leaving her home, and coming to mine.

I get it.

Boy do I get it.

Her foster family was just not at the place to adopt yet, and termination is coming quickly for these two.  Mom's not working her program, they've been in the system awhile....it's all just the same old story.  Second verse.  So fast forward -- her brother coming to the ranch. And the chance for them to finally be together.   Her foster mom, Diane, reluctantly (and oh so lovingly) hands over her little princess.

These two.

I've fallen hard, people.  They are a pair.

Brother finally started breathing easy when sis got here.  I gave brother some of the clothes I have stored (CLOTHES FOR DAYSSSSSSSS), and he was so touched.

It humbles me.   I have this dorky little suit (pants, vest tie) that I bought one of my boys for Easter a year or so ago.  It's hanging in the closet he occupies now, and he gazed at it, and said, "Can I please wear this to school tomorrow?"  and my heart just broke a little.  Pictures are tomorrow and by golly, I'm letting that boy wear that tie and vest to school.  If he walks a little taller, and feels a little prouder, then let that boy wear the vest.

Gina took him over on Sunday and gave that nappy head of hair a good buzzing and shaping and he strutted like a peacock.  I wish I could share pictures.  I mean.  I mean.  I mean.  A good haircut will make the man.

Because God overflows with blessings, my phone rang on Sunday and my dear friend Nancy Roy told me she was bringing me some things.  The "things" turned out to be two mongoose bikes for Zach and brother.  Zach has never had a "good" bike (always Steven's hand me downs) so he is over the moon.  Of course it's been zero degrees since then, so they look good in the garage.  But the boys go out every day and lovingly rub all over them, dreaming of the day, very soon that they will be on their first bike roadtrip.  Friends like mine are amazing.

Another classmate sent me $ to help with groceries this month, when she heard my plight of NO SALES.  :)  Exactly what I needed to get through.  Exactly.

God provides.  Every time. 

I have an entire blog (in my head working) of how when you just surrender to God's will for your life, how simple it all becomes.

The surrendering part is the hardest.

Everyone thinks what I am doing NOW is the hardest.   People, getting here was the hardest.  The life I lived before I became a true servant of God was the hardest.   All of this stuff now is gravy.

I get to watch kids learn about trust, and see a fully functioning (well........) family.  I jump out of bed and figure out breakfast  (thanks to Shauna Thomas, I have bran muffins! (Oohlala) and these delicious cookie things and sausage balls, she is just a wonder!) and make 5 lunches and push kids out the door by 6:50.

That's A.M.

And I love it.  I freaking love it.

We have a new routine around here.  The bigs do homework and the 3 littles gather on my bed and we are reading through the bible.  They are soooo fun and full of information.  I will ask them questions, and they are amazingly articulate.

You know how you raise a huge family??????

One stinking day at a time.   Give it all you got, love them hard, wallow in the goodness of the day, and when you lay down on your pillow at night.....Thank God for that marvelous day and ask for the same tomorrow.

I wish it hadn't taken me 50 some odd years to figure out.

But I'm still learning, and man, I love it.

God is good, All the Time. 


No comments:

Post a Comment