Living the Dream

Living the Dream

Sunday, April 22, 2012

A Restless Soul

We started a new series at church this week, "Soul Detox".  It had a funky loud crazy preview video every week for the last few weeks at church, and I was ready for it today.

I love my church.

Have I said that before??


Today's service was great.   I have been running like a headless chicken for a couple of months now.  Once Lacey & I decided to go to Haiti, we have been full blast full speed ahead fundraising for our trip cost.  It's been exhausting, thrilling, and exhausting.  Oh, did I say exhausting?  That, and working full time, and church, and starting CASA training (another blog on that)....my plate is runnething over.  For reals.

So, today as Craig talked about Finding REST for our SOULS.  I kind of chuckled.  REST?  Now, that's a four letter word.  Who has time to REST?

Sometimes I am so wound up from the day I can't even get my mind to click off so I can sleep good.  REST?  

I'll rest later.  My cousin dropped some stuff of for the "Garage Sale of the Century" a couple of weeks ago, and she said to me, "How do you do all that you do? Are you crazy yet?"  and it kind of took me by surprise, because I guess I'm so used to running like a wild turkey, that I don't even notice it anymore.  Kind of like that frog sitting in the water that is slowly heating up.  Before that frog even knows what's happened, his garage is full of crap and he's sitting in the driveway, selling stuff for a quarter to people that have 100 dollar bills.  But it's ok, because WE MADE enough to go to Haiti.  PRAISE GOD.  

But I digress, because i learned A LOT from today.  In this world of rush and bustle, you have to BE STILL. You have to BE STILL.  You have to slow down, and stop moving and BE STILL.  I loved that Craig said, "It doesn't say, you "Rush around and know that I am God, or Speed to grocery store and know I am God, or Rush your kids to football practice and know that I am God...it says BE STILL and know that I am God." That was powerful for me.  I don't "Be STILL" very often.  I always say that God wakes me up at 5:30 and talks to me then.  Only time He can get me still.  But we talk, and I listen, and I am calmed and KNOW HE never leaves my side.  

I didn't always know this.  Before Laynie, I had an IDEA of God, but I didn't KNOW God.  Now??  God's my go-to Guy, my Rock, My strength, my EVERYTHING.  And I'm NEVER alone.  


I love this picture because back in the day, I shared with you how when my mind is in an uproar at night, and I can't rest, I envision God reaching down and holding out his hand to me.  I climb over His thumb and I rest in the palm of his hand.  During the saddest times of those last days with Laynie, I had to almost nightly envision His hand reaching down and holding us all.  It got me through.  


We live in a crazy, fast paced, frenzied world, full of tv, and internet and constant contact with people.  Sometimes, you just have to be quiet and Enjoy the Silence.  

I think this is going to be tough for me.  I talk to myself to keep it from being quiet.  This is almost true.

But, I'm going to work on it hard this week, just being quiet, and learning to be still.



No comments:

Post a Comment