Living the Dream

Living the Dream

Friday, April 6, 2012

My mom's a Spring Chicken



Today is my mama's 75th birthday.  She will beat me with a stick for saying that out loud.  But I think at some point, you should jump up and down, be proud of your age, and I believe that 75 is a good place to start.

She said she was 29 until I turned 29, then she upped it to 39.  Then I reached 39, she grudgingly moved to 45. Then she just let me pass her.

Until she turned 70, then she was proud of that (for a minute), and reverted back to 60 with experience.

She's a mess.

I wish I had listened to her, instead of learning the hard way, in a lot of key moments in my life.

But hindsight is 20-20, and I wear bifocals.

My mom has been my rock, and it really tugs my heart to watch her start to get older.  She was pulling weeds in the back yard and totally faceplanted into the dirt of her flowerbed, and we really thought she had broken her nose.  Turns out she busted her lips up, and for a few days sported Julia Roberts lips.  They would have been totally hot, had she not had purple bruising all the way around them.  Totally looked like she had "Botox-ed" up.  I told her, "MOM, you can't be doing that kind of stuff, you aren't exactly a spring chicken anymore."  Which made her look at me, shocked, and reply, "OH, Shut Up."  See the sass??  I said, "I know this because I am NOT one anymore, either, and despite your attempt to stay the same age as me, we are NO longer spring chickens".  When she finally demurred, "You're probably right."    Whoa.


You can kind of tell in this pic, bruised around the mouth-al area.  At the run this past Saturday with the Wall chillen's.  

I'm pretty rock solid sure I get my massive strength from my mom.  And I don't mean bodaciousness, I mean, ability to accept what life throws at you.


Though my children definitely got their looks from her.  :)
Gram & Kip at Children's Miracle Network Dancing for a Miracle

She became a widow, very suddenly when she was only 57.  That's too young for anyone to become a widow.  Especially to the love of their life.

And she handled it with grace and acceptance, and moved on with her life, and showed resiliency that showed up in all of us, during our precious time with Laynie.

She's my neighbor now, and I enjoy the stuffing out of having her close and at hand.  She co-parents the dogs with me, she help haul Hallie to her many activities, she has sweet tea in her fridge anytime I need it, and she always, always, always, can tell you up to date weather or any celebrity news.

My mama, my heart, my go-to girl, my friend.



When we took on Vegas.

on my 49th birthday (she was still 50)



Laynie loved her as much as her taggies.  


And with her precious Lacey.  


Happy 75th birthday....may we celebrate my 75th birthday together ... (it will be easy as you will still be 75 too).

No comments:

Post a Comment