Living the Dream

Living the Dream

Sunday, April 8, 2012

My favorite Easter

It happened way back in 1992.  Twenty years ago.  That can't even be possible.

It happened at Blackburn Chapel Baptist Church, and it really was magic.  We put together an Easter musical, and it was a bunch of country folk that didn't act...and anyone that was there that day, can tell you it was a powerful day.

We had an OBU student as our Music Director, Sean Paul was his name, and I was playing the piano at the time.   We had practiced our choir numbers for many many weeks prior to that day, and it was one of the most difficult piano and choir pieces ever.   When I Survey the Wondrous Cross, and it changed keys about 5 times.  Ending with 5 sharps, which is the hardest thing in the world for me to play.

Before we came together and sang, though, we had a re-enactment of  Jesus carrying his cross through the street and the people gathering around yelling "Crucify Him".... It was powerful, and still sits in my memory to this day.

We had a real lamb, and one of our choir members, James Bond, led the lamb and his then 3 year old at the time, through the crowd, and helped Jesus carry his cross.   It. was. amazing.

After all that, the preacher spoke a few words, and the choir ended with "When I survey".  I have to tell you, we sounded like the Morman Tabernacle Choir that day.  God reached down and blessed our choir, and it was one of the most beautiful things I have ever been able to accompany before and since.  It. was. Amazing.

All those people that loved the Lord, and weren't singers, just sang in the choir, cause they love to sing.  Sang their hearts out, and in 4 part harmony, ended with a High A  (Thank you Valorie Reeves, and Denise Flowers), and it was just spectacular.  I have it on VHS, and need to figure out how to convert it to DVD so I can upload it on here.

So you can see what I mean.

God reached His hand down on Blackburn Chapel, Easter 1992 and the angels sang with our choir.  Here's another one of my all time favorites by Matt Redman and Chris Tomlin... "The Wonderful Cross"....

Happy Easter, loved ones.  He is Risen.  HE IS RISEN, INDEED!





(get a kleenex)
J

2 comments:

  1. Laura, what a wonderful memory. Walgreens has a service to convert your VHS to CD.

    I tried to get Cyndi's wedding from a BETA tape, one of your other wonderful performances, but they said the quality wasn't good enough. Didn't they know I'd take even poor quality?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's crazy. We have a tape from our "Senior Follies" that was recorded on a Security CAMERA! and even in poor quality, I wouldn't take a million dollars for it. Can't see faces, but it is just so much fun! Someone can convert that for you, keep looking!

    ReplyDelete