Living the Dream

Living the Dream

Friday, April 5, 2013

Good for Now

Been visiting with the lovelies teachers the last week or so, getting their Individual Education Plans in place.    LB is doing so good, that next year he will be mainstreamed into 4th grade and fly like the eagle he is.  He will still have assistance in testing, making sure he understands the questions, but he is kicking booty and taking names in school.

It matters a TON when your parents care about your education.

Lovely is doing better.  She is in special education classes most of the day with a group of smelly, hairy legged boys that really drive her to complete distraction.  Mean, smelly, full of boy goodness, my little lovely just doesn't handle that kind of stress well.

So, got a psych eval, so I could see what in the world I am dealing with.  Mainly post traumatic stress disorder, but on the learning side, possible dyslexia. 

That is tough.  I am a poor poor teacher.  (Remember the whole immigrant/gristmill from the Kip days).   I get frustrated that they just don't "Get" it, and that's not good when you have an entire house of Vietnamese  as their first language, speaking children.  Add a learning disability on top of it, and WHOA..  The report helped all the teachers get a better grasp on her situation, and I think things will start looking up.   The kid made a C in vocal music.   How does ANYONE make a C in vocal music??   She had a serious problem with the teacher and that teacher didn't give one iota bit of a crap about her home situation.  Some teachers wear me smooth out.

This isn't a perfect world, full of perfect mom/dad raising 2.4 kids kind of world.   I feel hopeful for Lovely because her #1 teacher is tutoring her, and her reading is improving tremendously.  Her social skills are becoming more mature (in spite of me) and though she does have her manic moments, she is really coming along.

Then there is Little Bit.  BB.  Cutey patootie with a killer smile, and a penchant for peeing his pants.  I took him to the speech pathologist this morning, and she was quite taken with him, once he came around and flashed that million dollar smile  (Warning:  that smile will take your heart to another dimension, for real)

When he came into custody, he wasn't potty trained, still breast feeding, and spoke no English.  Now he drinks from a cup, for the most part can make it to the potty, and speaks very broken, funny English.  I'm having his hearing tested Monday to rule out any hearing loss, and for now, we start at the simplest picture books and start learning words.  I think I will throw in fun spelling tests for Lovely and as BB learns the words, Lovely will have a refresher course in spelling. 

Today I was sharing their story with a couple I was working with at work, and the father kindly asked me, "Honey, when do you rest?"  I stared blankly at him, and said, "When I sleep".   

Seriously, I wouldn't have it any other way.   As long as Hallie doesn't feel slighted, I think we are pulling this off. 

Bubba told me the other day that I had thrown my dating life into the toilet, taking on three kids.  To that I say,  "Flush".   I will figure out all that later.  It might be God's will to keep me single.  And I'm totally content in that.  (Though a helping hand from an all-in partner would be ....well, I have no idea). 

I got a blessing gift today from a high school friend, and I have to tell you, the timing couldn't be more perfect.  Just about the time I start feeling a bit desperate and thinking, "How in the world do I stretch to ......" someone sends me a blessing and everything smooths out. 

That's how I know that it's all good, and it's right where I'm supposed to be. 

Thankful to friends, and teachers, and my daughters and my mom, who came over and highjacked Lovely to come watch the Thunder (Lovely says  "Dunder") with her.   Of course, LB was so sad, so i broke out the "Tin Tin" movie I had saved for them, and now they are covered up laying on the couch totally enthralled in this little boy dream movie. 

Peeps, it don't get much better than this.    Dating?  I got two men in my life that take up all my time and make me a better person.   I think I'm good for now.

One day at a time.  That's all I project out.  One day at a time. 

2 comments:

  1. You are one awesome young lady. I love reading your posts on here. It makes me wonder how much better the world would be if we were all a bit more like you.(caring, giving,unselfish of our time, and last but not least a bit goofy, lol) It makes swallowing that goofy 50 pill a bit easier. Thanx for the encouragement keep up the good work...Donnie oldham.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty marvelous, Sista. Everybody sounds about on track for where they ought to be, even BB. Three year old boys are never really dependable in the completely potty trained arena. Usually they're pretty good once they're about, oh, thirty. Then their aim is bad! lol Just keep loving on them and letting them know that everything is exactly as it should be and they are perfect just the way they are and you love them no matter what and everything else will be okay. They are making such magnificent progress!! You just keep building their foundation. Keeping teaching them the life lovin' skills. You are the best person I know at that. Love you!!

    ReplyDelete