Living the Dream

Living the Dream

Sunday, April 21, 2013

Being a Branch


Today when I went to church, and listened to one of our fantastic leaders speak on I am the Vine....it was, as always, perfect timing.

In the spirit of being totally honest here, I have a serious confession.  This past week, I was really considering giving the kids up.

I was in a full blown, burn out, over my head, out of my league, giant Texas sized funk.

I haven't been nice.  I haven't been happy.  I haven't been a branch.

I started focusing on me.  I started looking in the mirror and saying, "Wow, you have a lot on your plate.   Wow, that's a lot for one person to handle.  Wow, I could be so much more free if I just took back my life."

It was ugly, and in being completely transparent, I was completely over it.

I have a special needs preteen, an emotionally needy 9 year old, and a 3 year old I can't understand.

It's beyond crazy.

As I put everyone to bed at 8 pm last night, and pulled my bible out, because I was so emotionally drained, and so needy for some word from God, I read from my devotional and realized I am not alone.

The whole problem was, I've been leaning away from the tree.  I've been so busy with LIFE that I strayed from my constant, from my source of power.  I haven't been reading my bible, I haven't been praying like I used to, and even during the KLOVE fundraiser this last couple of weeks, I've let the radio stray to other stations.

And I lost my way.

You can probably tell by my blogs.  I lost my way.






Today as Sam shared the message, he talked about how he didn't want to foster.  His wife came to him, and mentioned it,  already having 4 kids of their own, he kind of deflected the idea and went on.  Until he was reading in the bible one day, and it hit him like a ton of bricks that he was supposed to do more.

I know that feeling.

I have managed to kick this thing in the face for 6 months now, and roll along with people saying, "How in the world do you do it?  You are crazy.  You are mental.  Have you lost your mind?"

Well, yes, yes I have.  But it's a good kind of crazy. Then I stop and think about it.  I Really am C.A.R.A.Z.Y.  (that's really c-arazy, not just regular crazy). 

Where I struggle and fall short, though, is loving the parents of these children.  I carry a deep, ridiculous anger that I am certain translates to these kids.  And the reality is, they will probably go home.  And I need to be more of a branch when it comes to these parents.  I struggle with a woman that stays with a man that abuses her and her children.  I struggle desperately with that.  I struggle when the children scream out in terror at night, at dreams I can't calm, once they've had to see their parents.  I struggle with a system that can't demand justice from parents that let harm come to their children.  I struggle with all of these things.

But I am a branch.  I have to show love and give shade, and bear fruit for the branches that are growing around me.  I need you all to pray hard for me.  It was brought home how far from the vine I had traveled, and I have to have my vine to stay strong from for this journey I am on.

Please pray for me, as I struggle to be the best branch I can be.  







1 comment:

  1. You are a branch even when you think you are not. You are inspiring people to try harder even when you think you are not trying hard enough. You are giving shade and refuge even when you think you are not. You ARE a branch. You have always been a branch. You live and breathe "branch-ness". Sometimes being a branch also means to allow yourself to sway in the breeze. It is okay to allow God's breeze to flow through your limbs, breathe in his sunshine and drink in his rain, and just sway. You are God's glorious, perfect creation. Love you.

    ReplyDelete