Living the Dream

Living the Dream

Sunday, May 27, 2012

The Game of Life

It all started over a kindle fire.

Hallie informed me today that her good friend, instead of having a birthday party, can decide on either 1) having the actual party, or 2) getting the money that it would cost for the party and using it on herself.

Sweet idea.

You can tell she has given this argument a lot of thought and planning in her head.  "Mom, so, this year, I won't have a party, I will just take the money you would spend on a party and buy me a kindle fire."   Me, "You don't even read".   Hal:   "It's for READING?"   Oy.

Then....

Me, "Well last year your party cost about $45, so that won't get you far".

Hallie, "Well, I want to go back a couple of years, when we had the party at the hotel, and we swam and ate, and THAT party.  You probably spent $300-400 that year, right?"

Me--  "Well, grasshopper.  I made a ton of money back then.  We could afford to spend it.   I don't make anywhere near that amount now.

Hallie....."Wow, mom, if we were playing the game of life, you drew a sucky salary card."

Wild laughter ensued.  I LOVE love love my kid.

She's still not getting a kindle fire.

Now, today at church.  We're talking about being "less" and making God "more".   I thought about the conversation Hallie and I had, and how below her "standards" she felt I was living.  Sam used the illustration of how he became campus pastor, and how the "world" would view that as a "demotion"...but in reality, without that time as a campus pastor, he would have NEVER had the experience to draw on to help lead this church to the greatness it is today.

What GOD wants is far removed from what the WORLD views "cool".

You have no idea how many times I have heard, "Are you certain you know what you are doing?" when I tell someone I am going to foster kids.  "Wow, are you sure?"  "Have you thought this through?" "Did you know...."  blah blah blah.

And here's the deal.  God's calling me to do this.  I don't understand why, I don't have any direct answers for you, why I am so sure this is the direction I am suppose to go....I'm just going to be obedient.

So NO, I'm not sure of what I am getting into. All I know for sure, Is I am being called.  And God will equip the called.   But am I freaked out?   Nope.

Because God has proven over to me time and time again that HE has it taken care of.  The adventure of life is in His control, I'm just here to serve.

And what a ride.

So in the game of LIFE I may have picked the pathetic SALARY card, and got a car full of kids, but my eternal LIFE card is so much more important to me, and when I act in obedience to HIS direction for my life, that salary card doesn't matter, because HE supplies all my needs.

Because he is good, all the time.

One of my old favorites, cause I have missed listening to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment