Living the Dream

Living the Dream

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Saying goodbye to a friend

It's really pretty strange how close most of my high school classmates have stayed with each other.  Somehow back in the olden days when we were all still babies, I ran for Senior Class Vice-President, and with the help of good friend, Steven Tomlinson, I had a terrific campaign speech.  and I got elected.  Little did I know that job would carry the weight of the class reunions for the ReST OF OUR LIVES, on my shoulders.  I missed our 5 year....that dang Lacey decided to be born that weekend.   And our 10 year was AMAZING.  Almost everyone from our class was there.  The 15 year dwindled down, but we were small and mighty, and the 20 was back to good form.   Our 25 was small but mighty again, and our 30 was just so much fun. I appreciate Suzanne and Shelley picking up the slack at the 30, since I was so involved with Laynie, and unable to put in much time at all.  Really, can't ever thank them enough.  After the 10, pretty much the same people come to each of them, and one of the frequent fliers to all the reunions, was our friend, Kermit Anderson. 

Known as Junior to his family (cause his dad was Sr), and Kermit to all of us, he was a quiet, hilarious guy that even in the midst of mischief being made, he would look as innocent as the driven snow, even though, I can promise you, the idea was his and put in motion by Mr. Sneaky.  He was a blast. 

But this blog isn't about him, because I've already shared about Kermit.  This blog is about all my classmates, that understand that life is short, and that HISTORY makes us family.  We can effortlessly slip back into high school banter without even blinking an eye.  "Mom" status doesn't exist with these people.  With these people I am 17 again.  (Oh, holy moly.)   We share history, marriages, babies, parents, siblings, teacher memories, years of life and friendships. 

I adore Facebook.  It makes it very easy to fall into the sense of "everydayness" with people you haven't seen in years.  I'll see someone, and they are completely up to speed on my life, simply by reading my facebook.  In fact, I don't have any particularly funny stories to share anymore, because if I start to tell a story, I'll invariably get interrupted with "OH, I read that on facebook", and I sit, disgruntled, because I. got. nothin.  else.  For. The. Everlovin. Love. of stories. 

I think a good compliment you can give someone -- to show up at their funeral.  The better compliment is to let them know how you love them BEFORE they die, and I'll forever carry that guilt with Kermit, because I doubt he knew how much I really thought of him, and cared for him.   I will forever carry the image of him and Tim, curled up in the "Spoon" position, after Kermit spent the night with Tim, on Tim's double bed.  I walked in to surprise them with donuts, and, Oh for the love of spoonin.. I was the one surprised. That was sooo  funny, I still laugh out loud to this day with that image forever burned in my brain.  Two perfectly great twin beds in the next room, and those two chose to spoon in Tim's 'lil bed.  "We were cold", was their excuse, even Tim's to this day. 

The hardest part for me that day was watching my beloved friends that DID share the day to day with Kermit, say goodbye.  Greg and Tim... wrenching for me.  Watching a dear friend say goodbye to their dear friend.... no words.   All any of us could do was be there for them.   And there, we were.

It was great seeing faces of friends we haven't seen in years.... Greg Stevens, Jana Buzzard, Kelli Lyday, Tim McCarter, to name a few.... and the old familiar faces that all of us can always count on... Suzanne, Shelley, Roxann, Terri K, Lisa G, Greg G, Tim B, Mike C, MaryJane, Dub, Paul and Melanie B, Kelley Jones, and now back in Shawnee Lois Hill, just to name a few.   Woohoo.  It's comforting to know, I will always see their faces. 

We decided that we want to have get togethers every year now.  Whoever comes, comes, whoever doesn't, doesn't.... it will be a Saturday deal, at a different hotel (with facilities for gathering and visiting, and staying), starting on Friday night/Saturday/Saturday night and just love each other all we can, while we can.   Life is short and fleeting, and it's a GIFT to have the friends that we have. 

I'm sad that we lost Kermit, but I'm also blessed beyond reason to know that REAL friends are out there, to comfort and love our families through.  And that is a wonderful thing....

Never miss an opportunity to kiss a friend, and tell them how much they mean to you.  You never know. 

1 comment:

  1. That's pretty cool Laura, And I agree wholeheartedly. I knew since junior high that the SHS Class of '79 was close and special. Although I'm a "1980" guy. My closest friends were in the '79 Class and '81 Class. It's just the way it was with me back in those days. I don't regret it...It was meant to be :)

    ReplyDelete