Living the Dream

Living the Dream

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

7th grade Basketball

Hallie has started playing basketball this year.  She is already pushing 5'10" and when she stands with her arms in the air, she almost reaches the net on the goal.  Ok, I'm exaggerating, but not by much.  The only problem is, she really hasn't figured out what to do yet.  Her sister, Chaurley, came to her game yesterday and gave her this sage advice  "Butt to Block".  Spoken like a true basketball player.   Maybe, oh maybe, she'll listen to her. 


Right now, all I can see of 7th grade basketball, is get the ball, run as fast as you can down the floor to the goal, either jack it up and miss it, or pass it until someone steals or fouls, which is usually in under 6 seconds.  They pretty much run down the floor, fight, fight, fight, jack it up, and then run down to the other side, fight, fight, fight, jack it up, then run to the other side, fight, fight.... are you seeing the fun of 7th grade sports?  Oy.

She'll figure it out.  She figured out volleyball there at the end, and played fairly decent.  I expect the lightbulb will come on about the end of the season, just in time for it to be over.  The good thing is, I'm pretty sure that lean, lanky machine, hasn't stopped growing and she really, in spite of her asthma, enjoys this game.  And she's actually learned to run now.  Back in Tball, she ran like C3PO in star wars, so I'm glad we are past that. 


Lacey attended Saturday mornings game with me (it was a double elimination tournament), and we heehawed like donkeys in the bleachers.  I can't believe we weren't asked to leave.  Lacey really is the funniest human being on the planet.  She can say the funniest, random stuff and just leave me on the floor. I was reliving Lacey's ONE year of basketball with her, and she had played ALL season almost every game some, and had shot several times and never made a basket.  We were at the very last game of the season, in the last few minutes of the game, and she ran down the floor, threw it up, and MADE it!  All my mom friends and I WENT WILD!  It was like she had won an olympic gold medal.  We're all crying and hugging each other, and I know all those people at the game were like, "What the crap?  These woman take this VERY serious".... but in reality, it was a gold medal.  She had chunked that ball at the hoop all season and never made a basket, and in the last few minutes....wham, there it is.   Lacey's comment on Hal's prowess,  "At least she makes baskets".  Crack. Me. Up.    Perspective, there it is. 

It's exhausting to watch these games.   By the time they are done and they have shot enough to make 1100 points and only have 6 on the board, all my hair is gray, and my armpits are soaked.  There is nothing pretty or sportsmanlike about 7th grade basketball.  And that's just the spectators.  Amen. 
I think I'd rather do this laughing stuff..........


Than This.

7th grade basketball.  Not for the faint of heart. 

No comments:

Post a Comment