Living the Dream

Living the Dream

Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Inside, Outside Upside Down


The first few days of fostering are an emotional rollercoaster.

Wins and losses.

You know what you have to offer the new kid, staring at you, the stranger.

They've never known peace, security, home... in their lives.

They rule in chaos.  They thrive in chaos.  They live in chaos.

So when you dump them out of the chaos, into a .....boring....quiet....life....their chaos nature rears it's ugly head and demands they cause some chaos.

They don't even know they are doing it, it is just second nature to them.

The balancing act for a foster parent is setting the guidelines, laying down the law, but doing it in a way that it doesn't feel like a hard ass.

You may not know this about me, but I'm typically a hard ass.

However, this is a new balancing act for me.  I need this kid to like me and want to be here.  There is no way to exact change in her life without some trust built in me.

I got trust from Gina day 2 when I delivered Steven to her.  The trust started building then and I got some equity immediately.

This kid doesn't know me from Adam.  She knows I make a mean spaghetti, drive too fast and multi task like a beast.   That's all she's seen.

I need prayers for her heart, and her choices and her peace.

We're in the woods, looking for some sunshine.

Pray us through the woods, people.



No comments:

Post a Comment