Living the Dream

Living the Dream

Sunday, January 21, 2018

I'll Never Stop Being Amazed

They call the first weeks of foster care a "Honeymoon" period.  Kids on best behavior, everything new, fresh, exciting.

When "Annie" came home with me on Friday, totally on a "Trial Run" situation, we had driven about 10 minutes and she informed me that she was "ok with staying with me".  I was very cool, shook my head "Sure" at her, and told her, "Let's see how you like my kids and the ranch".

Duh, No brainer.

She and Gina bonded like glue.

Steven and Zachary love her because she is as short as they are.

Our vietnamese household just got invaded by a WHITE GIRL. 

This little lady is something else.  Not "Lovely" caliber something else, (Ooh those first days!!) but a smart talking, busy little bee.  She hung with us yesterday, as we met Bill Junk at Lowe's and picked out our fridge, then ran Gina all over Norman, getting ready for her semi and look how gorgeous she looked



Just slap my face and call me Liza.  When did this little girl bloom into this beautifulness???

Anyway, it was a FULL day of running and meeting grammie, and watching basketball and hanging with the vietnamese and their lols.

As we were driving home, she asked me, "How long does it take to get home?" and I told her, and then she said under her breath, "Wow, I've never been able to say that before".

Well just slap my face and call me Shirley.

This kid has basically couch surfed her whole life.  She doesn't know movies, homecooked food, veggin' in front of the tv or trusting an adult whatsoever.

Her hair was pretty tragic (she's been in the shelter since end of  October, mind you...it's tough to place teens), so one of the moms out here at the ranch (Memory, how I adore this crazy lady already) is a barber, and she hooked my little gal up with a brand new do.

Her case worker called her on our walk back from Memory's house post haircut, and before her worker could get a word out, she blurted, "Can you bring my stuff, because I'm going to stay here" and handed me the phone and ran for the kids, playing basketball down the street.

Here we go, friends.  Gina sat her down this evening, and told her "Since you are staying, just know that ALL the boys on the ranch are your BROTHERS, and NOT your boyfriends, and that when people offer you WEED at school, you tell them to go take a hike and find some Jesus".

OMG I love that kid.

I told "Annie" that she was standing at a crossroads today.  She could continue the path she was on, and pick bad friends, and make bad decisions, or she could lean into this new path being given to her.  She can start fresh, and be whoever she wants to be.  She's not a label, she can start fresh and she will have a support team in her corner.  She sat by me in church today, and laid her head on my shoulder (She may have been sleeping, but I prefer to think she was trying to bond), and I feel very hopeful for this little gal.

Just keep praying for us, because it's going to be an interesting week.

Oh my goodness, the things I'm still learning.....


No comments:

Post a Comment