Living the Dream

Living the Dream

Monday, July 16, 2012

Laynie Lessons: Living with Courage


We are in the series "At the Movies" at church right now, and it's our favorite one of the year.  I mean we have a LOT of favorites, but this one is numero uno for us.  Our pastor takes movies and shows clips and brings biblical truth out of them.  It. Is. Stupendous.

Yesterday at church, we saw the movie, "We Bought A Zoo".  We saw this on our Dallas Christmas Adventure, and we LOVED it.  I should have known that Craig would totally pick it for one of the movies this year.  

I think one of the most amazing things about Laynie's whole journey was Lacey's courage.  I heard the doctor say "Termination" and the first thing that passed my mind was "We are going to have to terminate"...the first thing through Lacey's mind was.... "No way".   That was full out, full blown courage.  To embrace the unknown, the path less chosen, the HARD way.   My 23 year old chose it. 

Laynie never realized it, but she gave us all Great Courage.  I stand in front of groups of people now and share her story.  I blog to literally TENS of people every day and share her life.  Her mom shares her story every day at Children's Hospital Foundation, and people are moved, and people are changed.  

Another family lost a sweet angel today...Aiden ... another precious little boy I have been watching and praying for.  I got in a little late, but from what I understand he developed pertussis (whooping cough) at 2-3 weeks of age, and was just not strong enough to fight it, and succumbed to it today.  He has a phenomenal amount of following on his facebook, and will be featured on most of the tv channels today, and it makes me sad AND happy all the same time that another sweet baby has left this world for their heavenly home.  I know Laynie was waiting to greet him!  

It took unlimited courage for that family to reach out and ask for God's grace and their ultimate acceptance of the outcome.  


I always had such a hard time understanding what I was reading in scripture.  It was like I was forever caught in Spanish II with Mr. Diaz.  Seeing the words, but never really understanding them.  

Laynie changed that.  Consistently going to church, and immersing myself in the bible changed that.  God won't send you to a trial without a reason.  You NEVER appreciate the beauty of a peaceful, joyful time, without the trials to offset them.  If you are in the big middle of a trial and can't see the end, have this peace, please have this peace....it will be over, and when it is...you will be forever changed.  God refines you to make you better for future plans.  

People think I have lost my noodle when I tell them I am going to foster kids.  Just like Benjamin Mee, when asked WHY in the world would he buy a rundown house with a run down zoo...he thought for a minute and smiled and replied... "WHY NOT?"   That's how I feel about being a foster parent... WHY NOT?   I'm not here just to buy shoes and eat bon bons, and just blog to you guys all the time (though the thought has crossed my mind)... I am here to shine God's light on the broken and the lost.  That's my job.  And that takes massive courage.  

Given to me by a tiny babe.


What are you doing in your life to be insanely courageous??



No comments:

Post a Comment