Living the Dream

Living the Dream

Thursday, May 30, 2013

Toothaches and Tornadoes

I was told a couple of dentist visits ago that I needed a new crown.  And probably a root canal to go with it.

So being the good, johnny on the spot, never procrastinate a second (remember the Colonscopy 101)
I promptly forgot it.

Last cleaning, Kim, my hygienist, was cleaning my teeth, and I almost went through the roof, because that crown had continued to deteriorate and WHAM,  cold or hot sent me to the moon.

I've tried Sensodyne, I've tried straws, I've tried room temperature food and drinks, and finally yesterday, my crown lost its battle.

I messaged my dentist (Yeah, I'm cool) and she sent me rx's for some meds.  I started my antibiotic and got me some LORTABS.

Well, I don't drink for a reason.

I can SMELL alcohol and get drunk.  It's oh so very true.  So one lortab sent me to my happy happy place.

In fact, when I got up this morning, I was seeing double and couldn't string sentences together.  It was way cool.  (Not.)

I somehow made my way to the lovelies daycare, and headed for my doc's office.  She worked me in, and since Dr. Ashley Lanman knows me well, I'm thinking she knew she would have one shot at me.
For one thing, I can't do x-rays.  I'm a gagging fool.  You put that 8 x 10 with a frame around it in my mouth, and call your mom and do the graduation walk out to push the button, and during that time I am so busy gagging, you can NEVER get a good film.  Kim has taken enough films of me over the years, that she knows this about me, but Tobie, the assistant didn't know this happy fact.  Plus I was still looped, so nothing about that first x ray was anything we want to remember.

Ashley got me under nitrous oxide as quick as lightning, before I had time to process what was happening  (Because I've put this off for 3 years, for the.love.) and I was floating somewhere between Venus and Mars, when she strolled in and told me she was going to start working in my mouth, and instead of me trying to hang in there and hold my mouth open, she would put a "Support" in there.  A "Support".   Of course, she couldn't tell me she had a garage door there, that we could drive my SUV into my mouth, because I think it would have sobered me up too quick.  And I swear, when she came in my room, I would have just started getting my senses back a tiny bit, and all the sudden I was flying around the planets again.

And I figured something out.  I blog in my head at all times.  I totally blogged an entire blog, complete with snickers (yes, with the garage door lodged in my mouth) from me when I cracked myself up.

I think I tried to communicate with them (yeah, right) and my phone rang like a half a million times while I was flying around the room, and Ashley finally put it my hands.

Boy I sent out some dandies, under the influence.  I'm just glad I couldn't see straight enough to make my way to facebook status updates.  That would have been quite special.

 One and a half hour later, I walked out with a brand new root canal and temporary crown.  I also sported a near stroke look, that stayed with me for several hours.  I was numb in my eyeball sockets, and all the way in my little finger, and my toes.  That stuff was serious about keeping me numb.

And tonight, as the tornadoes starting rolling toward Norman, I started un-numbing, and had to take another pain pill. 

Tornadoes aren't too big of a deal when you are feeling fine.  You tend to make fun of the weather announcers, and say the same thing over and over, like "scud" cloud and "Dibble".  

I appreciate my dentist Ashley Lanman of Masterpiece Smiles so much that I can't even put words to it.  She has put up with me for many years, and only she would I trust to see me with my mouth hanging open for that long.  If I'm rambling, I'm sorry.  It's her fault. 

But the good news, I had a glass of tea a while ago, and it was the first time in a year I was able to drink without a zing going through my mouth.

And the other good news, I should be sober in a few days.  Wheeee.


1 comment:

  1. It sounds like you had a roller coaster adventure with your crown, Laura. Haha! But I can feel you. I would have gone nuts if that happened to me. Anyway, I'm glad that it finally subsided thanks to your reliable dentist.

    Thomas @WynneWoodDentalArts.com

    ReplyDelete