Living the Dream

Living the Dream

Friday, September 30, 2011

Must See TV- Mondays

I am a tv freak show.  I LOVE TV.  I am one of those people that buys the new fall tv guide and highlights the new shows I want to watch  (I know there are others out there,  my Mom, for one).  I love most shows.  I will skip sports, home shopping networks and horror sci/fi tv, but the rest..... all fair game.

Because I believe I have so much insight (Lord knows I have watched enough to be a pro)... I am going to break my evenings out for you and tell you what shows I believe to be "WORTHY" of watching,  and shows "WORTHY" of dvr  and  shows to AVOID at all costs.   Sound fun?    Again, not up to you, seeing how I'm writing this...and mostly to myself.   and my 31 followers  ( I LOVE YOU)

SO 

MONDAY NIGHT 

Guys will immediately think  FOOTBALL....  me???  


CASTLE

These two make my Monday nights.  I haven't enjoyed a crime show like this since Moonlighting.  They have chemistry, and humor and they are just delicious.  It's one of my favorite Monday night shows. 

I have always loved Dancing with the Stars and usually watched it, without DVR'ing it, but this season is a bit lacking.  I lost interest the first week... No really good "Star" dancers that wow'd me.  (because I am such a great dancer myself), but it is watchworthy because of two things.....


Derek Hough... who yes, I could have given birth to, I'm so  much older than him, but I can be appreciative of his mad dancing skills.  He is almost, just almost, good as me. 

and

Bad Boy Maks.  I had to pay homage to his nice abs.  Zoinks. 

But Dancing with the Stars, has become more of a "Dancing with the Who's?" this season...  outside of David Arquette (rehab and married to Courtney Cox), Ricki Lake (Hairspray and talk shows)  and Chynna Phillips  I only know her because of her great girl band, married to a Baldwin), and Chaz (the girl/boy that just confuses all of us 50 year olds that remember her as the little blonde girl on the sonny cher show) ... the rest of the cast are pretty forgettable.  Sad.  Cause this show used to be really fun. 

ON TO FOX:

House pulled 1st before Castle was even a thought in ABC's head for many seasons.  Greg House was a sarcastic, bitter pill of a hot mess, and I just loved to laugh at his antics.  The cases his team had to solve were interesting, weird and sometimes bittersweet.  It was just a fun, crazy show with some gory thrown in for good cause.   Then Cuddy and House hooked up and ...... the show tanked.  Last season was just a drain.  Amber Tamblyn couldn't save it, even Olivia Wilde came back to try to bring her "13" magic back and ..... hmm....  So, i'm a bit conflicted if I give it the coveted 8 pm spot on my DVR.  I have loyalty, but I also have great doubts they can pull this once great show, out of the toilet.    I will probably give it a couple of weeks to see if Cuddy leaving helps the show, but ????   Should have probably let this one retire with Cuddy and House walking into the sunset, with Wilson in tow, cleaning up the mess.  (I probably should help write these shows)

FOX gave us TERRA NOVA last week, and I'm holding opinion until I see where it goes the next couple of week.  It has a LOST feel to it, and Steven Spielburg is producing it, so it has all the elements. I like the star of it, he was in an interesting show a couple of years ago that didn't make the cut (Flashback) and i liked him a lot.  So I am rooting for it, first of all to see more of him.  The show started off ultra mega cool, then when the stupid know it all teens left the safety of the compound to go drink some moonshine in the midst of the dinosaurs  (You have to see it to understand it), and then get stuck after dark in some rival tribes moonbuggy....  I scratched my armpit and yawned.  What the crap?  Where's the super cool show that started an hour ago??   Hopefully they can keep the kids inside the compound and find what works before they lose the audience.   it's a great premise, and I'll watch again..... just to see....


I have the bar set high for 30 minute sitcoms (Friends, Seinfeld, Married with Children) and there just aren't any that trip my trigger on Mondays.  I gave 2 and a Half Men a chance because of the advent of Ashton Kutcher, but, it fell pretty short for me.  I'll probably give that time up on the dvr for something like House.....

MY #1 PICK FOR MONDAY......

Something I just found just last year, and LOVED beyond anything was NBC's SING OFF


The performers on this show are just outstanding.  I love a cappella singing, and this show is phenomenal.. for example...from last season, one of my most favorite things I have ever seen on tv....






Kip and I watched this Over and Over and Over and Over and Over,  along with this one....


This is music in it's simplest form, and there is nothing SIMPLE about it, and you can't hide behind sound boards, mixers, loud bands, it's just raw talent shining, and I save every week of this show on my dvr, because there are usually one or two songs that bear repeating, many times during the week.  No instruments, just voices, creating the music,  bringing it all to the table.   What a gift, this show. Ben Folds is a dorky nerd judge that can deliver a critique with the kindest of words, and the deal is... he is SPOT on.  The cat knows his music.  Shawn (BackStreet Boys) Stockman is the other guy judge and I love to see him moved.  He beats on the desk, wipes his face, beats on the desk some more, points at them, and takes off his glasses and wipes his eyes.  He ain't Randy Jackson,  "What's up, DAWG".. but he keeps it funny and clicking along.  Nicole Swinginator (I can't remember her last name) left this year, lured to X Factor and Simon Cowell, but some chick name Sarah Bareilles is in her spot, and she has her moments.  She doesn't have to do much, except smile and look good, cause if the groups will just listen to what Ben tells them, that's the best advice, anyway.  Nick Lachey brings the eye candy factor to the emcee position, but even he can't mess this show up.  There are usually 2-3 heartstopping songs on each week, and it's just music for your soul. 

I can't forget CW, and to be truthful, with all the above going on, I sometimes do, and never got into Gossip Girl, but Kip liked it, and Hart of Dixie made it to my DVR, but after watching it this past weekend.... wow.  Bad acting, bad acting, and oh, bad acting, might just make room on my dvr for my other secret favorites.... Hoarders and Intervention (A & E).   I always feel better about myself after watching those shows. 

That's it for now..... Monday night on the tube.....  Lolly's take.    Until Tuesday, keep your dvr's running.....



No comments:

Post a Comment