Living the Dream

Living the Dream

Friday, January 22, 2016

"Just take away the mental health care.....yeah, that'll do it"

Oklahoma DHS is broke.

Not only as a system, but financially as well.

Yesterday, doctors, foster parents, adoptive parents, CASA workers, Licensed Counselors, Etc spoke at the Capitol to see what they could do about the state taking away the right to a private counselor for these broken, traumatized kids.

http://okcfox.com/news/local/hundreds-protest-dept-of-mental-health-child-counseling-cuts

I know all about this, because I have three that live with me.

I had a counselor for the kids (from the state agency provided) right after I got them, and they counseled with her for a year or so.

She helped them learn to speak their anger, instead of using their fists or hands.  She taught them coping skills on a superficial level, and then vanished into the night, as most of the state employees, that are linked to the child welfare system, ultimately do. 

It's not because these people are bad people, or lazy people, their hearts are certainly in the right place.  But to be required to have 30-50 cases each, and be paid just minimal wages, is just setting everyone up for failure.

Kids that are removed from homes after the age of 5-6 (sometimes even before), are without a doubt, broken, broken kids.

They are terrified, angry, depressed, defiant, untrustworthy, abused, neglected little beings.  They have the coping skills of a turnip.

And now, Oklahoma wants to take away their access to mental health care.

I thought my oldest two, had turned the corner.  Hadn't had many PTSD episodes lately, everyone doing pretty great in school, good friends, social activities.... and then there is a stupid tv show on that trips their triggers, and Steven cries out in his sleep all night, and Gina describes her dad's "Hands on my throat, squeezing my air out, and pulling my hair" as she attempts to close her eyes goodnight.

My kids are broken.  And because the state agencies are all they have now to get any kind of treatment, they will remain broken.  It is a sick, sick turn of events.

So please be in prayer for this.  So many children need extra help.  And now the waiting list begin, and when (and IF) you ever make it to the TOP of the list,  the marginal, new licensed counselor, with a big heart and an overwhelmed schedule will be handed the task of completely turning these little beings around.  These counselors experience burn out within months of taking on this job, and are gone.  Our broken children, after baring their hearts and souls to these well-meaning people, are once again, asked to recount the brokenness with YET ANOTHER counselor, and the cycle continues and continues, while your child goes no where.

I know I am personally not equipped to handle the things that come out of my children's mouths, when they are in a PTSD episode.   I don't have time to go to college and get my degree (though I am sure I could get a minimum wage job with the state as the agency's new licensed social worker).

DISCLAIMER:  I am NOT discrediting ANYONE who works at DHS.  I ADORE and appreciate the socks off of them.  They are in a thankless, no win job, and I salute and applaud them.

All I can ask, if you have a minute to go and  email THE OCHA board  asking for exceptions and ANOTHER way to fix the child welfare system mess that this state government has made!




2 comments:

  1. Unfortunately teaching is becoming just as bad... ���� Oklahoma needs reform in a major way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why is the church not stepping in? How can we help? This makes my blood boil!!! These kids need help to break the cycle!!!

    ReplyDelete