Living the Dream

Living the Dream

Sunday, April 24, 2011

Lacey's thoughts on Easter 2011

This Easter is more emotional for me than any Easter in the past. Not just because my angel baby isn't here for me to dress up and take pictures with the Easter bunny...ok maybe a little because of that. But mainly because this Easter my heart is finally open to understanding exactly how much God loves me that he would send his only Son to die on the cross for me - Me, the unworthy sinner who will never live up to the person Jesus was.

The sermon series at church this month is called "Weird. Because normal isn't working." It's got me thinking about what a "normal" Easter looks like...stressing out about getting everyone dressed up in their uncomfortable clothes because it's "Easter" afterall, we need to look nice. Spending too much money on Easter baskets that will soon be discarded anyway. Worrying about which relative's house to visit and what dish we need to make for lunch.  That's a normal Easter. Yes, it is fun to hunt eggs and take family pictures in our nice clothes, but that isn't the only thing Easter should be about...It's a celebration of the fact that Jesus Christ, after dying a painful and humiliating death on the cross, rose from the grave on the third day so that I can be free. So that I can have the promise of forgiveness, and grace, and eternal life. Isn't that AMAZING?!

Speaking of weird...I find it funny that we have been experiencing a drought here in Oklahoma this year. Today it finally rains. Today, Easter Sunday. The day the normal thing to do is go outside and hunt eggs. Rain+hail on Easter=WEIRD. I love it.

Another thing...I know how much I love my little Laynie, and it doesn't even begin to compare with how much God loves me. It's unfathomable! He sent His son to die for me. That was the whole purpose of Jesus' life. To die on a cross and be resurrected on the third day to give us all life. I can't imagine willingly giving up a child to save a bunch of strangers, yet God did it. I am so thankful for true love like that.

This morning I have been listening to "True Love" by Phil Wickham. It's a great song. A very powerful song. Here are the lyrics:


Come close listen to the story
About a love more faithful than the morning
The Father gave His only Son just to save us

The earth was shaking in the dark
All creation felt the Fathers Broken Heart
Tears were filling Heaven's Eyes
The day that True Love died, the day that True Love died
When blood and water hit the ground
Walls we couldn't move came crashing down
We were free and made alive
The day that True Love died, The day that True Love died

Search your heart you know you can't deny it
Come on, lose your life just so you can find it
The Father gave His only Son just to save us

The Earth was shaking in the dark
All creation felt The Fathers broken heart
Tears were filling Heaven's Eyes
The day that True Love died, the day that True Love died

When blood and water hit the ground
Walls we couldn't move came crashing down
We were free and made alive
The day that True Love died, The day that True Love died

Now, Jesus is alive

Jesus is alive
Jesus is alive
Jesus is alive
Jesus is alive
Oh, He is alive
He rose again

When blood and water hit the ground
Walls we couldn't move came crashing down
We were free and made alive
The day that True Love died, The day that True Love died

Come close listen to the story

Anytime I start to miss Laynie I am filled with peace that I will see her again one day. I am so thankful and overwhelmed with emotions when I think about the sacrifice Jesus made for me.  I am so unworthy of His love, yet He loves me. I have hope for the future because of God's promise. Thank you Lord for sending your Son to die on the cross for me. Thank you for the promise you gave me when He rose on the third day.

Happy WEIRD Easter.

No comments:

Post a Comment