Living the Dream

Living the Dream

Saturday, April 30, 2011

Cowgirl dreams and Real Life

I found a job.  Or maybe I should say a Job found me.   Most of you know that I have been looking for something for a few months.  I never have gotten heartburn ONE time over being unemployeed.  I have been busy from the second I found myself without navigation, until the second the job for me, found me.  Every step of my life is ordained by God.  He's in total control and I am honored to be able to walk this walk in His light. 

So, let me tell you what happened, because it is a GREAT story.  I have been searching for something meaningful to do with the rest of my life.  I was looking in the non-profit sector because, well, the money is so great there.  (you know I'm a sarcastic beast, right?)   And, because I'm tired of just doing a JOB for no great outcome.  Good income and no outcome.  That's what my life had become.   And I didn't want to do that anymore.  So, I've been looking....and looking......and looking..... and praying.....and praying.....and praying......and being very out of character for me....never, once, worrying.  Because, well, my mom and brother were doing enough of that for me.  So I left the worrying up to them, and I became very calm and assured in my search.

I was going through some website ...(it escapes me now)  and I run across a job for a "Job Coach" at the Dale Rogers Training Center. 

As I'm reading the job description, 2 things jump out at me.  One, this seems like something that I could really enjoy, and two.... it's my childhood heroine..... Dale Evans....  and her handsomest of hubs, Roy Rogers. 



Now, I have some great childhood stories of Roy Rogers and Dale Evans.  My brother was Roy, I was Dale, and well...... our dog Cleo, was Trigger.    Or, somedays, I was Trigger and my brother lasso'd me, instead of the dog.  Needless to say.... I love Dale Evans.   So when I make the connection of the Training Center and her tie to it.... my curiosity and excitement increase.

But wait, it gets even better.

The whole reason of this center is because unbeknownst to me, (since I was just a lassie, myself) they had a beautiful daughter named Robyn, who had Down Syndrome.  Now back in the day of Roy and Dale, special children were rarely, if ever, kept in the home.  They were immediately institutionalized.  Dale went completely against everything and kept her daughter at home.  She lived 2 years. 


Now I am super intrigued.   I pull the website to read more, and I am blown away.  DRTC employees more than 1000 disabled people ALL OVER THE STATE, and finds them jobs based on their disabilites and helps these precious people have income.  It's overwhelming to me.  They have been around since 1953 and are going strong.   So, I load up my resume, and decide that only a "WALK IN" drop off of my resume will do for this job.

I drive over, and find a huge facility, and cannot figure out for the life of me, which building I should go in.  So I say a little prayer, and with resume in hand, Sunday best on, big smile on my face, walk in TO THE WRONG Building and find myself surrounded with United Way people.  So of course, I am smiling and on instant alert.  A lady across the room watches me, and comes over and asks me if she can help me?  I smile and tell her I'm there to drop my resume off, and hope to talk to someone about the job coaching opportunity.   She glances at my resume  (I have no idea who she is) and asks me what I have done in the past... I give her a 30 second window into my life.  She asks me if I am totally sold on the Job Coach opportunity, or would I be interested in a marketing/sales position??  I tell her that I want them to use me in any capacity I can help them with, and she tells me she will get my resume into the right hands.   Little did I know, it already was there. 

The very next day, Friday, my cell phone rings and it is the HR director and she asks if I am available for an interview the next week .. "Uhm, let me check my busy social calendar....uhm, no" and I'm on for an interview Monday afternoon.  I show up, have my interview, and immediately ADORE the lady interviewing me.  She is open and very honest with me.   "I don't know HOW you managed to land in the Director's path... but you did"..  she goes on to tell me that though this is an "Ambiguous" job title I am interviewing for, it seems that I have most of the things they are looking for.  SWEET.   I leave on the note, that she will check with the director and get back with me.    Sigh.   I've heard that before. 

2 days pass.  Wednesday afternoon I get an email, and my heart sinks.   Emails usually don't have good news.  I've learned that from the Job Search.  SO I open the email, fully expecting the usually  "BLAH BLAH, we're going a different direction" blah blahblah, and to my surprise it says  "We'd like to have a second interview with you on Friday at 9:30".    AWESOMENESS. 

SO I watch the Royal wedding  (more on that on the next blog) and head to the center.  I meet with the HR lady I interviewed with, and the nice lady that I had inadvertantly stumbled on when I was in the wrong building, who is the Executive Director of the ENTIRE center.  We visit, and I am getting more overwhelmed by the second, how every single requirement they need, I have experience in.  And not just minimal experience, but "super duper, I can help you so much", experience in.  20 minutes after reviewing my resume, and her outlining what she thinks the job will look like, I'm hired.  She tells me that it was a "Serendipity moment for her."    "I had already been talking to the HR director about someone like you, and then...There you are."     Of course I have to pass references and drug test, but if I lay off the crack pipe for the next week or so, I should do fine... and I've paid my references well, so that should go okay too.   So, I do believe I have a job.   Seems they have things to sell, and no one with real sales experience among them to take that by the horns and make happen.  Also, something to do with the volunteers and anything else anyone is overburdened with, and can throw my way.   I love to wear several hats.   Except that Lady Gaga hat that Princess Eugenie wore at the wedding, but like I said, more on that next time. 



Could I be where God wants me anymore than this??  I am so humbled, and thrilled, and expectant.  It's truly a God- deal.... and God is good.

4 comments:

  1. This is sooooooooo exciting! The perfect job for you. God had it planned all along!
    CONGRATULATIONS!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited for you. Praise God for directing your path and giving you the peace, faith and patience to wait on him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Continually amazed! I know you are going to make a huge impact with your new job. You are a real inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so happy for you! His hand is so evident here! You will be a blessing to this organization. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete