Living the Dream

Living the Dream

Thursday, April 28, 2011

I'm a survivor...

I've been watching SURVIVOR since all the back to Richard Hatch.  In the early seasons, that was an intense goal of mine. .... to get on Survivor. 

I even put time in, around 2003 putting together a video to attempt to get on the show.  Had someone edit it, mailed it in, and missed the deadline by a day.  I think God was telling me I probably didn't need to be on that show.   It was a kinder and gentler show when I attempted to get on.   The most intense thing they did was eat bugs and stuff.   Now it's physical and you have to walk around in your underwear...a lot.  I would NEVER make it.  Never mind running and swimming, I just don't rock underwear the way I used to. 

But this year, something magical has happened for me on this show.   Meet Matt Elrod.....


Not only is he a beauty, he is turning out to be one of my all time heroes.   The one thing I have always not embraced about Survivor, was anyone that was "Religious" was kind of made fun of on that show.  But Matt has changed the course of reality tv.   He's been very vocal about loving God.  And letting God lead him through this journey.    Matt got culled from the herd early in the season.  He got sent to "Redemption Island", which this season, is where you go after you're voted out, to have a chance to re-enter the game, through winning challenges.   Not only has Matt been removed from all the ridiculous Game-playing that is Survivor, he has been able to witness to everyone that gets voted out and sent to the island, and spend time in a quiet, alone place with them, introducing them to God.  It's short of amazing.  And the more amazing part to me, is that the TV gurus are actually SHOWING some of it. 

Matt is David in the midst of Survivor giants.  This past week he was so defeated , after being allowed back into the tribe, they immediately voted him BACK to redemption island.  As a human, that is painful.  That is rejection, that is being "Weird".   After being rejected, and cast out again, he had some dark moments doubting that he should be on the game of Survivor at all.   I have vocally encouraged him from my recliner every week, and I wish he could hear how I am rallying him on!

This week, another player got sent to Redemption Island, and after she lost her challenge, yet again to Matt (he has won 10 in a row)  she tearfully told the camera, that she had wanted to win the million, because she was a single mom with her house in foreclosure, and was really needing the boost.  She went on to say, that after TALKING TO MATT, she had renewed strength, and the first thing she was doing when she got home was .....FIND A CHURCH.  She was leaving with a sense of purpose and new feelings.  I felt tears well in my eyes.   Matt Elrod isn't losing at Survivor: Redemption Island, the reality tv show ... Matt Elrod is leading fellow tribe members to the true REDEMPTION ISLAND.  The grand prize of them all.   And I stand amazed that I am able to watch that unfold.   Finally, TV that is worth talking about. 

And I'd just like to add ....  I have a daughter I'd love him to meet. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment