Living the Dream

Living the Dream

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

How much is TOO much?

Everyone knows I have been fanatically watching the biggest loser because of one thing.....David Brown.

He worked with Lacey on staff at Lifechurch, and Melissa was pregnant with Trinity same time as Lacey was with Laynie, and he and Melissa were 2 of Laynie (and Lacey's) biggest fans.

So to say I've been a loud spokesperson for the show this season....well, that's an understatement.

We've been ridiculous at our house watching it.  On Tuesday mornings, the first thing out of the kids' mouth would be  "BIGGEST LOSER ON TONIGHT".

And Tuesday's would drag.......

So fast forward to finale.  I have Lacey and Keri Austin on facebook messages (since weather wouldn't permit a watch party), and we are all three watching and commenting throughout the show to each other.  I'm trying to keep a fun commentary running on Facebook, to keep my other friends Wes and Jessica Powell entertained (David married them, and is one of Wes's biggest mentors in life), because Jessica was about to puke all day with nerves.  We are all ridiculously invested in this fellow.

First Lacey posts this picture to us and amps everyone's blood pressure up about 20 points. (Correction, this was an Austin original, not Lacey)



Then we have to go through one hour of all the other contestants, with Lovely lamenting, "Can't we just get to David?" and saying things like, "That girl still eating too much" and "Why that guy not take off his hat?", enough to keep me rolling on the floor.  And the commercials.....mighty a frighty, the commercials.  Enough to make me poke a pencil in my own eye.

FINALLY......the final three .... First Bobby comes out, and I'm just floored over his transformation. He looks amazing.   

I'm so ready to see my friend!!!!Then DAVID, and BOOM, here's the warrior.  In his shiny, James Bond suit.


And I'm shocked, and bawling, and literally shaking for him, I am so in wonder.  I'm looking for any sign of the David I remember (Big ole teddy bear) and I don't see him, then he starts to speak, and I think, "There he is".   He is really really really super skinny.  Wow.  He has twelve layers of dimples.  Who knew this stuff?  I'm a mess.

Then, Rachel hits the stage.  We are all in stunned silence.  Then lovely says, "That girl too skinny, she needs to eat a sandwich."  and I don't know what to say.  Keri pops up on the message, and says "Trent thinks he needs to go on the biggest loser and get down to 80 pounds." (Trent, fully dressed and a good full meal on him, might weigh 140 at best).  My house is speechless.  LB ventures, "She too skinny, Lolly" and I have to agree.


We have been on this adventure with David to watch these people reach their full potential.   Rachel is 24 years old.  I remember at 24, I was pretty able to keep my weight in check and weighed in at 137.  That is Skinny Skinny for a 6 foot tall drink of water.  So, I'm not judging here, I am making a statement.

There are many small women out there that absolutely weigh 105.  They probably range in height from 4-6 to 5-2.  I was a trainer at Magic Mirror all during college and I saw all kinds of women, all sizes and shapes, and I helped them work their weight.

I was kidding on our conversation thread, when I popped off, "100 pounds" when she stepped on the scales.  I was heartsick when I saw 105.



So were Bob and Jillian.


She tripped going up the stairs to weigh, and someone on my facebook said, "She is so frail and sickly, she can't even walk the stairs".  I don't know, I would probably fall up the stairs,  myself.  My valid worry,  What does she see when she looks in a mirror?  Does she see a very very thin woman, almost too thin? Or does she see her old heavy self?  I, myself, see a very big version of myself when I look in the mirror.  I get the whole competitive "I'm going to win, so I'm going to lose a bunch of weight" stuff, but how much is too much?

Hal plays competitive sports.  The top competitors are rock solid lean.  None of them look like this.  This isn't a healthy look.  This was NOT the intent of the biggest loser show, I have to believe that.  I had a long talk with the kids after the show, telling them that every body is different, and what is good and right for one person, may not be good and right for you.  It's not a message we need to send the kids.  Being healthy, is a whole other thing.

Then, the king for the evening, said, "The winning step wasn't being here tonight...The winning step was the first one" 

Preach, brother.  He may not have won the dough, but he won the prize of health and the hearts of millions of people.  His family will have him for many years, and he will go on to help thousands and thousands of people overcome obesity.  He is the winner.  No loser in that man, only Winner.  

Congrats, David and to your family.   You are a warrior.  





No comments:

Post a Comment