Living the Dream

Living the Dream

Friday, August 10, 2012

Laynie Lessons: Overcoming Disappointment

When we found out the baby that Lacey was carrying was going to be a GIRL (!), I was over the moon.  I promptly went straight out and bought some princess crowns, tutus, boas, and wands.   I bought a pink set and a blue set, one for our soon to be Laynie, and one for my granddaughter by heart, Payten.  I dreamed of the tea parties we would have at my house, the fun we were going to have, the hope of futures and bright dreams and rainbows.

Then we found out that Laynie would probably not make it to birth.  We pressed through it.  I put on my coat of armor that NOTHING could penetrate, and seriously BULLIED my way through the pregnancy... never losing sight of my faith in God, believing that HE could heal her.  HE could change the outcome, HE could make the difference.

What I didn't expect, was to be cleaning the closet weeks before she was born (nesting in my house, while Lacey nested in hers), to stumble upon those forgotten little tiaras and wands.  I sat in the middle of my closet and cried and cried and cried, and let all the disappointment of broken dreams, broken hearts and disappointment just rain over me.  I cried for Lacey, for the baby she loved so much, and the fact we wouldn't be able to watch her grow up.  I cried for our family, for having to face a loss so early, so unexpectedly.  I cried for the future, of what our lives would look like.  I cried over a tiny tiara, and prayed a mighty prayer for expectancy and hope.

God heard my anguished cries, and he delivered.

Life is full of disappointments.  I found out today that I may not get to go to OU this fall because of a stupid grade I made back in 1983.  Who knew?  I still haven't gotten my fosters.  I am so ready for them to be here, and I so feel my heart pinch at the time they are having to be in a shelter before they make their way to our home.  Disappointment can overwhelm

But the beautiful thing is, God knows our disappointments.  God knows our every minute of every day.  He says to take heart in trials, for he has overcome the world.   It's easy to get caught up in the "World" of your life.  The "World" says, you need more shoes, you need more clothes, you need to lose weight, you need to drive a nicer car, your kids need to be smarter, you need to more driven at work, you can't be single, you aren't happy married, you hate your job, you miss your friends....and when you put that kind of pressure on yourself, you can be overtaken by the world.   But John 16:33 says...


Don't get overwhelmed with disappointment, this is just the warm up of better things.  God will never put more on you than you can handle, though sometimes I think he confuses me with Thor.  Pretty sure.  

But you can overcome disappointment, because God has overcome the world... and you don't have to stay mired in it....Hand it over to the one that loves you, and wants to carry it for you, and Overcome your disappointment.  

Look how I did .....



God is good.  All ALL the time.  


1 comment:

  1. Lolly Lou - I love you girl! You are such an inspiration! The life that you and your girls have lived have inspired many to keep putting one foot in front of the other even when life doesn't make sense. You have walked through the pain and the hurt and you can still come out smiling knowing that our God delivers! And even if he doesn't deliver in the way we would choose, you still serve him! Thank you for your words that always remind us to keep walking and keep smiling. And when that day comes and you cross that Jordan River, there your baby will await you with loving arms, ready for her tea party to begin! Love ya!!!!!!!!! Nancy Roy

    ReplyDelete