Living the Dream

Living the Dream

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

On being a dancer

There is nothing I would love more than to be a good dancer.  I insisted that my girls take lessons so they could learn to move and not be so self concious on the dance floor.  All three of my girls can seriously move.  I love it. 

Now I can chair dance like no other.  I can move and shimmy and from a chair perspective, I am a serious boogier.   But put me on the floor.... nothing.  Self conciousness takes over, and I can no more move than a slug under a pile of salt.

My friend Cyndi used to try to get me to dance, and she always told me  "Laura Jane, your hips have no action.  You got no motion in your ocean."  Hello.   I am not a coordinated person.  Even walking takes total concentration.  So moving my hips, my feet and my arms in any sort of fluid motion, all at once, forget it. More than this 5'12" gal can handle.  The only person that ever took away my swan-ness was Laynie, she didn't care how un-coordinated her lolly was, she just wanted to boogie with me.  So we danced. 

The girls are learning a dance, and I have been attempting to do it with them.  It's hopeless.  I aren't a dancer.  I are a writer. 

Stick to your strengths, that's what I say.   Next dance, you will find me boogie'n down in my chair, just high five me and keep on going.

You just gotta dance. 

No comments:

Post a Comment