Living the Dream

Living the Dream

Monday, June 27, 2011

On Lacey and being 27

It just seems like yesterday I had Lacey.  We lived in a trailer in Norman, and Carl was almost finished with college.  We were toddlers, having a baby.  I turned 23 in May, and had Lacey in June.  I am fortunate she was such a lovely baby.  We were clueless, bringing that baby home, but somehow we managed to raise her to toddlerhood, then beyond.

Yes, I know I'm attractive, I just pushed that 8 lb baby out.
Aww, toddlerhood, starting her "beast" years.  (These are her words, not mine).   Any video of Lacey will find her snapping at the camera, mean and cranky.  Maybe it was because she was presented with a little sister, right after she turned 4 years old.  Maybe it was because she was a snappier dresser than I and was always dressed great, and a tad embarrassed at her 80's lookin' mama.   You know how most kids go through a "I don't care how I look" phase?  That was NEVER Lacey.  She always brushed her teeth, her hair, picked her room up (for the most part), because as I have come to find out as I have grown up (along with her) that I birthed a "GOLD" daughter. 


just a tiny reminder of that attitude

We've been taking COLOR personality tests at my work, and as I have learned the different color wheel, I realized right away that GOLD is my Lacey.   Golds like to make lists, and find nothing but delight and joy over being able to make the list and check things off on the list.  Nothing makes a Gold happier than a spreadsheet.  An organized means to an end.  Nothings upsets a gold more than to have a fly by the seat, hang on to your hat, "nobody died" and that's good enough approach, to a completion.  And guess what color her mother is??  That fly by the seat, hang on to your hat, kinda gal.  No wonder she was cranky.  She needed lists and organization, and her mom, well her mom lost the list. 

I've watched Lacey go through an incredible season this last year.  She turned 26 on June 20, and lost her baby on July 10.   She never slowed down from July on. She spoke with grace and beauty, at the Children's Miracle Network gala, 2 short weeks after we lost Laynie.   She decided to go back to school and get her masters degree, and started in August.  She went to school and worked part time with me, until about November, and to our joy, she started working with Children's Miracle Network, and gets to share Laynie's story Every Single Day.  She is now working on her 2nd semester of masters program, thinking she is going to change her mind and get a degree in Family Counseling/Grief  (who better, might I ask?) and is going to be dancing as a "Star" for the Miracle Families in the CMN's Dancing for a Miracle Gala in August.  I'm amazed at her strength.    God's carried her through this entire journey, and Lacey has never questioned why, just ok, Lord, take me on this journey and I am yours.   That's powerful and significant.   That's Lacey.



For someone that made me gain, in nine months, 50 pounds and most of it mexican food from El Chico, I am forever grateful.  She is my best friend, my accountability guru, my partner in humor, my shopping buddy, my biggest source of belly laughs around.  How lucky am I that all that is in the form of my Gold packaged daughter...

Lacey, you are a joy.

Love me some Lacey...

Started young being a comedianne.

1 comment: