Living the Dream

Living the Dream

Saturday, May 28, 2016

The Days are Long, But the Years are Short

This school year blew by so quickly, I barely had time to process it.

That's 250 mornings of taking 3 different kids to 3 different schools, and re-loading lunch accounts with money eight times.

And then you're done.

This year end has been particularly hard.  I am now approaching my last-born's senior year.

I scrolled through picture after picture of friend's kids graduations, and I realized that 2017 is bearing down on me, with miraculous speed and intent.

Yesterday, (and I do mean yesterday), I was watching Hallie walk across her Kindergarten stage, with no teeth and sweet little braids to accept her Kindergarten diploma.  When they called them the "Class of 2017", I just chuckled, because that was such a long time in the future.

Well, 5 dance recitals, 3 sets of ear tubes, 40 weeks of guitar/piano lessons, millions of hours and dollars spent on volleyball, later, Hallie received her application instructions for West Point this week.

Her time with me, living with me as my child, is roaring to the finish line.

I know I still have three to go, but, this flesh of my flesh, is soon to be gone.

And it won't be to OU, or UCO, where your children still pop in your house anytime you want/need them.  It will be a structured time, 3 times a year, to see her...and my mom heart is overwhelmed.

BUT WOW, what an awesome opportunity for this big thinker.  I had a friend spend time with her recently, and she text me "Your kid is amazing.  She so knows what she wants, and that is rare with someone her age."

Nicole Nordeman just released a song called, "Slow Down" and I sobbed the ugly cry in the parking lot at work the other day, listening to those words.  I know I'm being dumb, because she is just going to college, and I think about my cousin/sister losing our precious Austin, and not having that ability to see him on the phone and talk to him and I feel silly feeling this way.

 Just TRUST me and grab a kleenex  for this.

So I am going to put on my big girl mom panties, and help her fill out this application.  I have pointed to the sky her whole life and said, "This world is yours for the taking, kid...how do you want to do it?" and smile through tears at all the volleyball games, the senior pictures, her new job, the senior year, and breathe all of it in.

Young mommies, don't worry about the small stuff.  Don't involve yourself in the drama of what's not important.   Involve yourselves in introducing your kids to Jesus and making sure that no matter what happens in their lives, HE will always be there with them.  That is your greatest, most important gift you can give them.


Because in two blinks of an eye, they are out the door and flying to the sky to follow their dreams.

1 comment:

  1. Beautifully said!!! As Always. I love your "mommy's heart".

    ReplyDelete