Living the Dream

Living the Dream

Saturday, March 29, 2014

Running and Running and Running

Today was the Wings to Fly Run at Fort Reno, in El Reno, OK.  TEAM HOPE participated again (for the 4th year) and I am very proud to say, won a BUNCH of ribbons and shoes.


We had over 50 runners, and sold over 200 TEAM HOPE t's, and this year was able to donate over $2000 to Children's Hospital Foundation from Team Hope.

That's a bunch of cash for a worthy, incredible cause.

So many faces I loved there....

Especially these two.  Lacey helps coordinate the whole run, and does a fantastic job.  It's so organized, and such a great, fun time is always had by everyone there.  It's not so huge you get lost, but it's not so small that you don't feel like you're competing.  I was all set to run this year (cough), and I went and broke my toe, and hobbled around in a tennis shoe this morning and danced on one foot with the DJ and his rocking music.


The Cope Family has attended the run every year, and Blake (middle top row) has dominated in the 5k every year.  This year he ran it in 19 minutes.  He blew the competition away and ran away (literally) with 1st place overall.  I barely got to congratulate him and he and his dad were off to his soccer game.  I adore this family, they are just so special to me.

Speaking of my family, we were well represented this year.  Mom got her booty out of bed quite early and we parked her in a chair and she whistled from the sidelines and we made her "Base" and she held everyone's stuff.  She's not getting around great lately, really done something to her hip, so everyone be praying for my mama as she gets an MRI this week.  We have to get her in tip top shape to go trek around Yosemite in a couple of weeks for Kips wedding.
Lindsay and Tadd came, and brought my great niece Makayla, and she ran the miracle mile and took advantage of the face painter (as did all the kids) and was just Lacey's little sidekick all day.  She is a corker!
She checked out the clydesdales and was thoroughly impressed with them.  BB wasn't near as pumped about them as she was.  I just want to tell you, how much I love my family.  When we go to these big events like this, someone always keeps their eye on BB and I am so glad.  I am still getting broken into the fact that I have a 4 year old.  In fact, Lacey introduced him to someone at the run as her "Little brother", and the person just stared at me, slightly slack jawed.  "I look good for someone that just had a kid 4 years ago, eh?"   sigh.




Super duper proud of this Run like the Wind boy, LB took 1st in his age group in 28:41, and that isn't too shabby.
He got some cool Mike Tyson face painting and had #1 on his forehead.... Just a great day for this cat.

Hallie and her good friend Brad each ran the 5k.  Hal ran it in 33:26, only taking a break running around the corner to throw up her cookies (ewww, glad I didn't see that), giving the girl that ultimately won their age division,  time to sneak past her whilst she was yakking her goods on the sideline.  Talk about giving one for the team.   Brad had a bigger group of guys his age and took third with a time of 28:30.  He rolled in right in front of LB. 
It's always fun to watch this big ole goober get an award, she is so awkward, and I have no idea where she gets it.

Amy Astle won 1st in her age group, and when I texted her to tell her she told me she was doing the "ugly cry", she was so thrilled.  She and Laynie have always been birthday buddies, and Amy has always showed up for every run and blood drive, and this year she brought her hubs along too...
Super fun and so proud of both of them.. Amy set a personal best of 30:31 and won 1st and John won 2nd in his division.  Studs, both of them.

Speaking of studs, here's this.

Bubb did good for an old dude with a bum knee.  He told me today that his competitive juices started flowing and he wants to get 'er done in 30 minutes next year.  We'll see.

Back when I was a tweenie, I went to Junior Camp in Binger, OK and I met some fun chicks from Tulsa.  Facebook brought us all back together, and today I was surprised and delighted to find one of my old buddies..  Lori Phillips Huddleston.  She drove all the way from Owasso, and I was thrilled and pumped to see her again...
She placed 2nd in her age division too and that made me so proud. So great to see old friends.
Back when I had Lacey almost 30 years ago, that little gal on the right end was born about 12 hours after her, and from that day forward, her mama and I have been friends.  We shared a room at the hospital and enjoyed watching our babies grow up.  Now she brings friends and supports us and we just love us some Erin Rushing Young.

When I asked Crystal if she placed, she said "No, there are too many gals in my old category to win anything."... well the joke was on her, because she took 3rd in her age category in the 15k, mind you!  She is a "real" runner.  :)  Love our family, and sweet Hannah "Miracle child" helped Lacey hand out awards, and did a great job.

I love me some Haley Bordeaux and Lindsay Ramirez, they ran over the finish line in tandem and took 1st place in their age division in the 5k... I call them "Team Beautiful" and you can see why for yourselves...

Who looks THAT good when they run????????  I mean really.

Well this girl does...



And I cannot write about Wings to Fly without talking about this young lady.  Kelsey Wall.  She has participated every single year, through icicles, damp warmish fog, and freezing rain and finally the 4th year gave her the weather she loves to run in.  She took 1st overall in the women's 15k, and 1st in her age group.  Her b/f Grant is helping her carry all her goods.  She LOVES the shoe awards, and this year got about a size 15 decorated shoe (Lacey told her it was a Hallie-size shoe).  Kelsey, you are a supreme rock star, and you and Blake DOMINATED the 5k and 15k, and made TEAM HOPE big winners this year!!!
Now, someone who didn't get an award, and trailed in almost dead last, gets my final words.  Lovely is the big winner in my eyes.  This kid is a true miracle.  The fact that she has overcome everything that has been thrown at her, is kind to a fault, finds good in every thing she is faced with, and tries so hard at all the challenges, makes her my big winner.  I was just about to get in my car and go looking for her, when she finally turned the corner and headed in.  She had charley horses in her ankles, her collarbones were on fire, and tonight she is limping like a broken toy, but that smile and her "I did IT, Lolly" makes me remember what life is all about.   This kid made it past the finish line.  She kept on running and running and running.....and I couldn't be prouder.

You just got to do life one step at a time, and I know tonight that Laynie is beaming up in heaven, so proud of her TEAM HOPE.

Disclaimer:  There were oodles and gobs of people there today, and I am sorry if I did not include you in this blog....you are all well loved and I am thankful for you.  I am just really super old and tired this evening and can't think of everyone.  Truth hurts, people.








RUNNING AND RUNNING AND RUNNING.....  For Laynie... cause it's all about
                                               Loving a baby....




No comments:

Post a Comment