Living the Dream

Living the Dream

Saturday, March 15, 2014

Graceful as a Swan

I was so thrilled to be home this weekend.  I had to work this morning for missing two days this week to continuing education (Oh, THAT WAS FUN), and after sitting 16 hours in a classroom, I had a terrible crick in my shoulder, so I thought....

MASSAGE.  I have a gift certificate from a friend just calling my name for the last few weeks, and I have been so busy running Hallie and the Lovelies to and fro, I just don't have any time.  So TODAY was going to be the day.

2:00.  I was getting a massage at 2:00.

I fixed the kids lunch without incident.  I just put BB down for his nap, and I was putting up the tea in the fridge, and going to go put my shoes on.

Then 20 minutes before I was to get massage, When IT happened.

The refrigerator reached out and got right in front of my right foot.

 Now, please believe me when I tell you that this is NOT my foot.  I rarely have hair on my big toe, and though my toe did look like this, I take a tiny bit more pride in my toenail lookage.

Plus, let me just tell you, when this drama was going on, the very last thing on  my mind, was grabbing my phone for a selfie.  I was too busy sitting in the chair holding my leg and sobbing like a big ole sissy baby.  I did reach down and since it was pointing west and I was looking east, I managed to pop it back a tiny bit.

Of course, the minute it happened, the kids scattered like flies.  I don't cry.  Ever.  and I was doing the ugly cry.  Snot, tears, more snot.  It was glorious.

Thankfully, my brother had just shown up at moms', and he always remains calm, even in the face of snot and tears.  He leveled my foot on his leg, and all I could sob to him was,  "Fix it, so I can get to my massage".

He grabbed it and pulled on it, and instant relief.   About that time mom rolled in, with Hallie and Lovely on her heels, and, dang it, I needed my mommy.   "Well, dummy, you ran into the fridge?" was just what I needed to hear from her at that moment.

I told Bubba to tape it up and I was going to my massage.  I made it back to my bedroom, and the adrenaline quit pumping and the pain came back in a major way.  I think Hallie rubbed some ben-gay on it, but I was blubbering like a baby again, and I think this time it was more about the fact I knew I wasn't getting my massage.

Bubba loaded me up in his pickup (me borrowing Hallie's crutches that she just quit needing) and off we went to the ER.

It was packed, full of people hurting, sick, puking.  And me, with my bag of peas on my foot, feeling sheepish, and still intermittently snotty.


The ice pack was too heavy, and we didn't have corn, because we eat it the minute it hits the house.  It was this bag of peas, or a popsicle, or maybe a frozen piece of texas toast.    Peas it was.

1 hour later, and 1 x ray later, the young doctor called me, "Kiddo" and sent me on my way.  Fractured toe.

Really really really wanted a massage today.  Instead I spent $100 on an emergency room co-pay.

I'm really living the dream, baby.





1 comment:

  1. Oh you poor thing I've never broken a bone before but that had to hurt so dang bad. I did have a similar and equally dramatic incident happen a couple months ago though except I sprained my ankle for my very first time. I was in our backyard and I rolled my ankle, it made a sickly pop and I slammed knees first onto the pavement walkway. Oh my the pain was unbearable i've never felt pain that intense before. I'm also not a crier, especially when it comes to pain but it was way more than I could handle I was crying like a baby. I thought for sure by the popping sound it made that I had broke my ankle. My 19 yo son ran over and gently slipped my shoes off, poked and painfully prodded and assured me that it was probably a sprain. Then scooped me up and bridal carried me into the house... it was kinda embarrassing but sweet at the same time. Anyways I hope your toe heals quickly that's gotta be painful and frustrating I presume.... Take care and Godspeed!

    ReplyDelete