Living the Dream

Living the Dream

Sunday, March 23, 2014

Here's Mud in Your Eye

Church really rocked me today. 

This year seems to have been a blur of bad news.  Friends with cancer, friends with sick babies, money issues, depression, questions of the future....sometimes just overwhelming to the point of "I'm staying in bed and sitting today out."

And this past week, on a post on Facebook, a friend said, "I'm so mad today.  It's like God isn't showing up" (I'm paraphrasing here). 

I know I have felt that way 1,000 times.  At least.  Ok, God, you got me here...Now What?????

Today in our lesson at church, the example was made of  Jesus's first miracles.  He made water into wine, and he gave a blind man sight. 

No big deal, right?   In this world of make believe and special effects, that seems like a no big deal, easy peasy thing to do. 

But just think about it.  It so parallels our lives on earth.

Jesus could have spoke the words...."Heal this man" and he would have had sight.  He could have just thought "Fill these vessels with wine" and poof, it would have been. 

But, he never just hands us the answer.  I've always said, God isn't the good ship lollipop.  He isn't like Glenda the Good Witch, waiting for the prayer that you've spoken 200,000 times ... "Oh, ok, that is the one I will grant.".....  It's so much more than that. 

He took spit and dirt and rubbed it on a blind man's eyes.  Think about it.  Spit and Dirt.  Do you think that dude was overjoyed have Jesus's spittle all over his face?  I almost urp when I even think about spit in my OWN mouth.  But Jesus had a point to make here.  He made mud and put it on the man's eyes and told him to go wash in a specific Sea.  Not "go to the sink and wash it off", he told him exactly where to go. 

Now imagine....do you think this guy was embarrassed?  Jesus's man made mud pies on his face?  Have you ever been embarrassed by something you've done?  Wondering, HOW IN THE WORLD could Jesus have put me here??    What did I do to deserve that???  I know I have.  Many many times.  And I wandered around with mud on my face, not listening to what he told me, trying to fix the problems, trying to figure out WHY?...when God simply says,  "Trust me, and seek me and wash the mud off where I tell you to go". 

Having the faith to trust God to send you where He wants you is the hardest thing you will ever do.  It's like jumping out of a plane without a parachute.  TRUST ME. 

Before Laynie, I assumed I trusted God....but I never really did.  I grabbed back that wheel, every single time I handed it to him.  Once He gave us Laynie, and put mud all over our faces, did we learn to trust Him, and believe we would get to the Sea.  And even our earthly prayers, of total healing for
our girl, were  not just heard, but given.  We had a baby that wasn't supposed to be born, 30 months.  THIRTY months of blessings, 30 months of lessons, 30 months of grace.  

It took me 47 years to get the mud out of my eyes and really see and trust and believe in God.  I read the miracles in the bible, and never had the full understanding of who God really is. 

I don't do anything anymore without praying it through.  I try to preface every move with a WWJD? and though I still have a long way to go.... I have come a long way too. 

Wash the mud from your own eyes and see God.  You will never be alone again.  He never promised to fix all the problems, but He sure promised to never leave our sides when they come. 

Thank you God, for making this blind woman see. 

1 comment: