Living the Dream

Living the Dream

Wednesday, August 20, 2014

School Daze

I woke up this morning with a smile on my face because..........

IT'S THE FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL!!!!!!!!!!!

Now, believe me, my mornings are ridiculous, but you know what happens after that frantic 2 hour window of getting four very different children ready to roll to 4 different places???????

Total quiet, and no interruptions of my work day.

WORK BLISS.  WORK NIRVANA.  PRAISE TO THE SCHOOL.

There were SO many cute pictures on my facebook of these ADORABLE signs the kids were holding that talked about their school, and their favorite movies, and their teachers, and what they wanted to be when they grew up....in perfect fonts, and different colors........

 I was just happy that they had clothes that somewhat matched and shoes with socks on.  And I had bought their school supplies.  That's what I was happy about.

 I did get a $1 dry erase board so I could at least put what grade they were in.  All very janky.  Gina looked very much like her name, "Lovely", this morning.  So proud of this girl.  She has come so very far, and she should have an excellent year.  The teachers really look out for her, and thinking about how just yesterday she was in 6th grade, a scared, angry girl.... and the obstacles she has overcome to get to here, 2 years later, in 8th grade......awesome. 

 Zachary is having a smile in picture crisis.  He grimaces and closes his eyes and smirks and snarls.  It's all very entertaining, and exhausting whilst trying to snap the perfect 1st day of pre-k picture.

 Steven on the other had had no crisis of smiling.  He's been smiling for about 2 years now, and has his cute face down to an art.  He also had to have VANS like Brandon's, so he's channeling his new bro in California.  I think he just looks like a really smart 5th grader. 
Now this grumpy ole "I'm not going to hold that stupid board and hurry and take the stupid picture, and this is totally stupid to have to do this, and everything in life is stupid, including school, and I hate to have to stupid carry 5 backpacks, and stupid give me money for lunch, and .........".   All I know is it's only 20 days until this ray of sunshine gets her drivers license and she can carry her happy butt to school all on her own.   Not that I'm counting or anything.

Just a glimpse into our life in the mornings.  I get up at 6:30 and shower.  Somewhere between drying my hair and attempting to find shoes that match, I wake up the boys.  They manage to get dressed and eat our pre-determined breakfast by around 7;15.   I then wake the sleeping girls, and escape to take the boys while they growl around the house trying to wake up.  I take Steven 2 miles east to his school, wait patiently or impatiently in the drop off line, depending on the time....drop him at the door, head 3.5 miles due west to Zach's daycare, where he will be attending Pre-K.  Little man needs another year of very structured, personal environment, and I just felt better about him staying in the smaller classroom one more year.  Next year he can tackle the "real school", but one more year of English and speech therapy and I think he will be ready to roll.  Check him in, and then race to 7-11 for my morning TEA, then home to see what is transpiring in my house.  This is usually around 7:50.  I rally Gina and make sure everything she is wearing at least somewhat matches, then just tiptoe past Hallie's room and hope there is movement.  I reassess my own wardrobe, making sure that I actually have the right shoes, and check makeup and hair, and at 8:10 leave the house to take Gina to the 3rd of my 4th drop off.  Today for an extra added bonus, we picked two of the sunshine girls friends up to take to high school with her, and I was in Norman North's parking lot by 8:30.

Today I challenged the high school sophomores that were in the car with me, to all execute two random acts of kindness to their fellow students today.   This thought was so bizarre to them, they questioned me with, "What the world could we do?"   I informed them that giving a compliment, helping a lost Freshman, being kind to someone with problems, any of those things would work.  One of the girls informed me that if she complimented someone on their clothes, they would say to her, "Why do you say that, do they look bad?  Do you want to fight about it right now?"  I just sat in the front seat Shaking My Head.  So I said to the three ridiculous children in the car, "Just keep your heads down, and try to stay alive".   That was all I had to give them.


After all that..... I get to go to work and rest.  WHEEEEEEE.

No comments:

Post a Comment