Living the Dream

Living the Dream

Saturday, December 21, 2013

Training

This past week, I took my year-end sojourn down to Abilene, Texas to gather with fellow co-workers and hear a whole bunch of good stuff.

Last year, I was brand new, didn't know what to expect, and was relieved to have a break from my kids.

This year, I knew what to expect, and missed the kids like crazy.

Our CEO is over the top crazy about Jesus.  He resonates it in every action, every word, every move he makes.  I've never been so happy to work for anyone in my life.

Until he takes the stage and makes us all do one hour of yoga with him.

Yes,  Yoga.

I am hurting today in places that I didn't even think I could hurt in.  We did this Thursday morning.  Friday morning, I hopped up out of bed, jumped in the car, not one sore muscle, thinking,  "Yeah, this yoga stuff is EXCELLENT", and by Friday night, I was hobbling at the birthday party.  Then this morning, I couldn't even get my sorry old butt out of the bed to walk down the hall.

Awesome.  On Friday, the temps dropped and normally when it gets cold, the hound dog comes in the house, because she is old and fragile, like me.  In the excitement of leaving for school, everyone forgot about poor ole Arlie, and she sat outside all day.  By the time I got home and let her in, her back hip had gone out from the cold and she was in severe pain.  I took her straight to the vet, who massaged and moved her around (I liken it to a chiropractic adjustment), and gave her some good pain meds and muscle relaxers and sent her home.  She is a cheap drunk.  One pain pill and all the sudden she is drinking from the toilets and eating used kleenexes out of every trash can.  And still limping, but better.  She will go in Monday to be sedated and have some xrays ran on her (Merry Christmas to ME) to see if she has a tumor, or just arthritis like her mama.  So prayers are welcome.

In training, we talked about training.  Imagine that.  But I want to talk to you about what I took from it.

Hallie wanted to play volleyball.  She didn't just pick up a volleyball and smash it and be an olympic player the minute she started.   The kid has practiced and practiced and practiced x 4 hours per day for months, and it's starting to pay off for her.  When she isn't smashing the ball, she is jumping in her room, running 3-5 miles in the neighborhood, or peppering the ball, watching tv.  She NEVER stops.  Only to sleep, and even then, I'm pretty sure she is running plays in her head.

She is in training.

When I wanted to play the piano, I went to my neighbors house, and he started me off.  He gave me sheet music and told me in order for me to ever be good and play for people, I would have to practice.  PRACTICE?  what?  TRAIN?

I want you to think about something and this is what I took away from this week.  In order to be a Christian that I want to be and can be proud of, and make a difference, I have to train.  I can't just go to church on Sunday and sit in a chair, and sing the songs, and listen to the message and expect that I'm a Christian.  That's not how anything works.  But that's what so many people think is all they need to do.

That's almost like Hallie carrying a volleyball and thinking she will get to the Olympics.  It's just not going to happen.

You have to do so much more to hear God's voice, and be in a relationship One on One with Him, and I promise to you, that is where you want and NEED to be.  You have to seek Him, and want Him, and think on all things Him.  This starts with reading the bible, and praying.  Someone asked me about my prayer life this week, I chuckled and told them that it was easier to tell them when I wasn't praying.  I pray all day.  I shoot "text message" prayers to God almost every minute.  I'm in communication with Him constantly.  And the more you do that, the easier life gets.  I'm serious, people.

It takes training and dedication to make it to the Olympics.  It takes training and dedication to get to ultimate Olympics of heaven.

Arm yourself with the Youversion app on your phone and get to reading some passages every day.  Read them several times and let certain words stop you in your tracks, (and they will), pray over those words and listen for God's voice.   So many people don't recognize it or doubt that it's God talking to them.  I'm not crazy, peeps, I'm in love with the one that gives me Hope and Love and Joy.

And for Christmas, I wish that for you.

And loving Jesus and seeking him is far easier than volleyball training and yoga.  I'm here to tell ya.

I need the every hour, most precious Lord.  (And I need 1/8th of this guy's talent and hair) Watch it all the way to the end the last 30 seconds will make your hair look like his!   He is A.ma.zing. 


No comments:

Post a Comment