Living the Dream

Living the Dream

Friday, October 5, 2012

Oh, Ellen!

I have loved Ellen DeGeneres for as long as I can remember.  And I've brought up 3 girls to love her as much as me.

When Lacey stayed home with Laynie, she watched her everyday, and then she got Kip hooked on her, and lately, in the evenings, Hallie and I bond over our DVR'd Ellen show while we eat our supper.

We laugh and laugh and laugh.

I remember when we were in the hospital with Laynie, Lacey and Kip had vowed not to get each other Christmas presents, all except, they were going to get each other the Oprah magazine, with Ellen on it.  When we opened our presents at the Children's Hospital, that cold December morning, we giggled and laughed at how she cracked us up with her different poses and faces.

We found joy with Ellen in the midst of all that pain.

I've thought forever that we should get on her show.  She'd love our story, and probably love us, too.  I just don't know how to pull that off though.

Until, we were watching night before last and she said, "Send in your favorite picture of your kid in their Halloween costume".... and if you might remember correctly....

Hallie is a genius at coming up with clever costumes.

She is like a mini celebrity at Halloween.

It started in 2010, when she came to me and said, "I want to be an aquarium."  and like I normally do, in most things she tells me, I just stared at her.   "I'm not helping with that", stated the mom.

"Fine, I'll do it myself, you just have to get me what I need"...which turned out to be easy, since we already had most of it.  A box.  Fishing line.  Blue see through wrapping paper (weird, we had that).  Flashlights.  Finding Nemo toys from MacDonalds.  and Duct Tape.  Lots and lots of duct tape.  And Hallie's extraordinary imagination, went to work.

She wanted to have her head in the aquarium with the fishes, with her snorkle and mask on, which would have been outstanding, but it ended up hurting her neck walking around with that box propped up on her head. Plus, she couldn't breathe with that mask on.  Go figure.

So she caved up in her room for about 2 hours, and she walked out with this masterpiece.


It was brilliant.  In a box. 

trick or treating Uncle Bubba

She had two flashlights duct taped into the front of the box shining up on her, so the whole thing was eerily lit inside the tank.  She had the fish hanging on invisible fish line, so as she walked they bobbed like they were swimming.

It was fantastic.


Every single person that walked by wanted to look at it, and ooh'd and ah'd.  It was like being with a celebrity.  When she'd ring the doorbell of a house, the person in charge of the door, would be bored, walking "OH MY GOSH, Another Trick or Treater" and see her and they would LIGHT up!  HEY, everyone, COME HERE and see this costume!~!!!  Usually they'd take a picture, and after everyone ooh'd and ah'd we go to the next house, first being stopped by people to look at it, then at the house itself.  It was so much fun.  Hallie was so pumped.  She knew she was a genius.  

Anyway, Ellen wants creative kids costumes.  She won't find one better than this one.  What a hoot!

That was when she was 12.

Now last year, she was waffling if she wanted to try to "Out DO' her aquarium.  I didn't think she could, but alas, she did it again. 

She went as........


her facebook page.  (before the new format) 


And wins best use of popsicle sticks as props.


Not bad for a 15 minute before time to trick or treat, throw together costume.  Again, she was a mini celebrity.

Super heroes?  Princesses?  Ghouls or witches? 

Nah, an aquarium and a facebook page.  

Hope Ellen knows a genius when she sees one.    I know I sure do.




1 comment:

  1. LOVE it! My girls and I are actually going to sit down this morning to figure out their costumes this year. So fun! Love you and your girls.

    ReplyDelete