Living the Dream

Living the Dream

Monday, March 28, 2011

History and stuff

My first crush was on my uncles.  My mom's brothers.  They were the most amazing men I had ever had the chance to ever meet.  They were so different from my dad. (who rocked his own kind of cool).   They were really tall, (all but one) really thin, really athletic, so handsome, so COOL.  I just adored (and still do) my uncles. 


The hardest part of getting older, is watching those you love grow older too.  We don't live in the same state as a couple of my uncles, so seeing them is a birthday/Christmas/new years party all wrapped up with a big ole happy bow.  And since they married marvelous women that I love completely, it's always a great day when the family is all together.

Now we are facing losing one of the tribe.  We have faced it with him before, and he has always, ALWAYS, defeated whatever was set out before him.  Until now.  Now his kidneys are in complete failure, and he has blood clots in both legs.  His chronic COPD has caught up with him, and he is having to face the realization that his days on this earth are coming to an end.  And so are we.

So I need you to pray for my uncle.  He has "good" days and he has "Bad" ones.  Now, the bad seem to come more often and harder than the good.   I am honored that I have time and am able to help care for him.  He is a mess, and cracks me up with his quick one liners, delivered in a gasp, as he tries to get it out as he struggles to breathe.  He is not going quietly, and the disease that has gripped him, has steel hooks.  There are so many things I want to say to him, but he is content for me to say none of them, and simply sit by him and hold his hand, as we mindlessly watch Seinfeld reruns, as his life slowly, horribly slips away.

Life is a gift.  Health is a gift.  Things we take ridiculously for granted.  Kiss everyone you love everyday.  Smile at strangers.    Love your family, especially old uncles that you've crushed on your whole lives.  Because you'll turn around twice, and they will be... just gone.

My sweet Uncle with his grandson Austin... 

No comments:

Post a Comment